• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Hudson Bay Camp Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For your consideration, A replica Hudson Bay camp knife. Tapered tang, Ebony scales, 1/4 inch thick at the spine as were the originals made by Jukes & Colson for HBC. OAL 13 1/4 inches long, blade 8 1/2 inches. I chose 1080 HC Steel for this knife for it's toughness and being well suited for hard use blades. Blade is lightly antiqued. Nicely done heavy leather sheath. Much research went into this piece, my intention was to recreate this knife as close to the original as possible. This big Buffalo knife is priced at 475. shipped to you.
IMG_3669.jpg
IMG_3670.jpg
IMG_3680.jpg
IMG_3675.jpg

For your consideration, A replica Hudson Bay camp knife. Tapered tang, Ebony scales, 1/4 inch thick at the spine as were the originals made by Jukes & Colson for HBC. OAL 13 1/4 inches long, blade 8 1/2 inches. I chose 1080 HC Steel for this knife for it's toughness and being well suited for hard use blades. Blade is lightly antiqued. Nicely done heavy leather sheath. Much research went into this piece, my intention was to recreate this knife as close to the original as possible. This big Buffalo knife is priced at 475. shipped to you. View attachment 161584View attachment 161585View attachment 161586View attachment 161588
Well Done Sir!! You nailed it!! Tres Magnifique!!

I am working on a few now. I use old Chicago knives, Good steel, cheap price, and SHARP! They make great camp knives.

Attachments

• Chicago Cutlery 1.jpg
    Chicago Cutlery 1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Chicago Cutlery 2.jpg
    Chicago Cutlery 2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I had not heard the term Hudson's Bay Camp knife until now. I have a knife that is almost a twin to the one pictured. I have no memory of where, how or why acquired it. I probably inherited it at some point. My knife is 14 inches long with a 9 inch blade. The blade is stamped UNWIN & RODGERS, SHEFFIELD. There is also a scroll with the word SUPERLATIVE. Both are visible it the photograph. Does anyone have any idea what I have?

Attachments

• Hudson Bay Camp Knife.JPG
    Hudson Bay Camp Knife.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I had not heard the term Hudson's Bay Camp knife until now. I have a knife that is almost a twin to the one pictured. I have no memory of where, how or why acquired it. I probably inherited it at some point. My knife is 14 inches long with a 9 inch blade. The blade is stamped UNWIN & RODGERS, SHEFFIELD. There is also a scroll with the word SUPERLATIVE. Both are visible it the photograph. Does anyone have any idea what I have?
You have a genuine, original Hudson's Bay Camp knife. These were also sometimes called "Buffalo Knives," or "Chief's Knives." These were first made some time in the mid-19th century up until roughly 1900. There was a short article about them in The Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly, Vol.13, No. 3, entitled "Collection Corner - The Buffalo Knife." It stated, "The [Jukes] Coulson firm was one of the early suppliers of buffalo knives and most of the surviving specimens are marked by that maker. Unwin was one of the later makers..." (pp.10-11).

So, yours is likely of later production, but still a remarkable piece. If you would click this link (Hudson's Bay Camp Knives), it will take you to a discussion thread devoted to this type of knife. We aren't really supposed to have discussions in the Classified section. I am not an expert, but I have been interested in these knives for quite a while, and you are welcome to message me if I can provide any more information, and I'll be happy to share what I've learned. That discussion thread linked above, however, will be a good place for you to start.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
You have a genuine, original Hudson's Bay Camp knife. These were also sometimes called "Buffalo Knives," or "Chief's Knives." These were first made some time in the mid-19th century up intil roughly 1900. There was a short article about them in The Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly, Vol.13, No. 3, entitled "Collection Corner - The Buffalo Knife." It stated, "The [Jukes] Coulson firm was one of the early suppliers of buffalo knives and most of the surviving specimens are marked by that maker. Unwin was one of the later makers..." (pp.10-11).

So, yours is likely of later production, but still a remarkable piece. If you would click this link (Hudson's Bay Camp Knives), it will take you to a discussion thread devoted to this type of knife. We aren't really supposed to have discussions in the Classified section. I am not an expert, but I have been interested in these knives for quite a while, and you are welcome to message me if I can provide any more information, and I'll be happy to share what I've learned. That discussion thread linked above, however, will be a good place for you to start.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thank you for the information.
Cheers,
George

Back