• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hudson Bay Blanket, made of gold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the OP
It’d be better to buy new then pay that price for a used and frayed one. They have a new one in white with a black stripe that’d be correct for the entire 18th century. If you’re ordering from Canada instead of an American importer keep an eye on the exchange rate and get us while we’re down. Buy once cry once.

Been wanting another 6 pt Hudson Bay blanket like the one I lost in the house fire 6 years ago. I took darn good care of it and it was warm as could be. Saw a 4 point white with pastel stripes at an antique shop on Tuesday. It had most of the nap (thickness) but was severely frayed along the selvage. It was also full of pet hair. Still, if cleaned and repaired properly, it would be quite serviceable. How much? and the reply was $300. I'd buy a new one for $500 before I would pay that for the condition of the one he had.
A good substitute is a real genuine military "US" marked real wool OD issue blanket. No shortcuts or fake fabric in them! Not sure about the ones made nowadays, but a WW2 or 1960's issue is a real bug-warmer!

The grey colored army blankets work well too.. I think they are Swiss made .

Question? How does today’s Whitney or Hudson Bay blankets compare to those made 50 to 60 years ago…
Are they as full?

A good warm blanket is a solid investment if your going too camp in cold weather.
Used or New, they are worth their weight in gold…

Last edited:
One of the DC area surplus stores once sold thick natural wool blankets with the dark blue letters USN. But they were barely large enough for a rack in a sub. As I recall, back around 1985, I was paying $19.00 for them. Lost them in the fire too.

Anyway. Mrs. wants to schedule a trip to Ontario next year, so maybe I can scope one out in person at an HB store.

@Rató:rats post made me curious, so I looked it up. "The Bay" (formerly the Hudson's Bay Company) still sells their traditional blankets. They have gone online, so you don't have to paddle to a trading post. I found the off-white blanket with the black stripe he described:

1625800102446.png

Here's a close-up of the "points" and the HBC label:

1625800046330.png

The four pointer is a double bed size, 72" x 90". The Bay's price for a four-point blanket is $400, which I think is in Canadian dollars. At the current exchange rate of $1 CA roughly equal to $0.80 US, that would be $318.86 in US dollars, according to the exchange calculator online. The Bay has these blankets in other colors for the same price, although I did not see a blue one with the black stripe, which I have read was a very popular color with trappers and voyageurs in the early 19th century. Anyway, here is a link: The Bay: Blankets & Throws

Just browsing around, I didn't really find any better prices, but I found some that were a lot higher.

I've ordered a few odds and ends from Canada with no problem. However, depending on what card you use, there may or may not be a "foreign transaction fee," i.e. a surcharge for exchanging currency, which can add to the price you end up paying. It's good to keep at least one card without this fee, if you expect to do any international travel or ordering.

Notchy Bob

I ended up getting lucky twice with Hudson Bay blankets. First one (double sized) I picked up at Governor Bent's House and Museum in Taos for $30, late 1800s design. The second I picked up a few years latter at an antique/second hand place in Ruidoso Downs, a king sized six point red with black stripes for the huge sum of $70.............

Yep. Hudson Bay must think their blankets are spun out of pure gold.

My observation is anything with The Bay name on it is over priced.
The Hudsons Bay' Point 'blankets are made in Whitney By Charles Early or have been for donkeys years . To Quote Pam Ayres poem . "I am a Whitney Blanket 'Original & Best . You'le never get cold feet with me around your chest " Apparently an advert jingle she wrote for them but they declined it !. I worked in Whitney the cold winter of 63 but not for Early's . Went' beating' / driving Pheasant for HG the 10th Duke of Marlborough it was too cold for building & crushing ice over snow was no fun . I think we got 30 shillings and lunch & a tot of Whiskey , Vat 69 I think . HG had 13 keepers our village one was called' Bubbles' .& he didn't like November the 5th as the fireworks masked the poacher' s guns..
Remminising Rudyard

Has anyone compared the HB blankets of today too the ones of 50 years or so ago?

Are they as full/thick as the older ones were?

Inquiring minds want too know….

I found 1 at a estate sale they wanted 400. No way i could pay that it was east 60 years old

IMHO, there is no substitute for a HBC blanket. Whether you need that good of a blanket is another issue. If I was "on the trail" in the far north- worth every penny, and I've been on the trail up there.
Buy drug store candy for the girl, eat at McD's BUT NEVER skip on your gear.

Now you got me back to thinking of the HD blankets I have. A couple years ago I was talking to a friend about having him make one into a early coat maybe a capote style. Since moving I found I have a new Whitney "horse" blanket in the wrapper. Guess I should get it out and open it for inspection. Got it several decades ago. Best to sacrifice one of the HD blankets for this project.

We put old bay on nearly every thing in summer. I put it on omlets, grits, corn on the cob, broccoli, pork chops before they are grilled, Mrs. was talking to her cousin in Minn. and mentioned Old Bay. Cousin never heard of it, so I sent her a can of it. I don't think she liked it.

A group of us (living history freaks) went camping in upstate Pennsylvania one winter. Lean-to's for a shelter, a fire in front and HB blankets as part of our gear. According to the radio next day, the temperature dipped down to 10 degrees in Williamsport and we were further north. One HB under and one HB over top. Toasty warm in between.

Was that because of Kung flu?

A Canadian Friend post he had just left for Fl…. Snow bird season.😎

So I guess the Border up North back open!
The Southern one…. Hasn’t closed in almost a year now…..🤬

Has anyone compared the HB blankets of today too the ones of 50 years or so ago?

Are they as full/thick as the older ones were?

Inquiring minds want too know….
I have one I bought in ‘87 that was given as a wedding gift in 1888. It was just kept in a box in the closet and ‘to pretty to use. Passed on to daughter then sold in the box at an estate sale.
The person who bought it from got it for the box and sold me the blanket for $60.
It’s the candy stripe. So now it’s 135 years old and just slept in it at Ft Charters.
I can’t say it’s warmer then my pelington.

Back