• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Hudson Bay style 3.5 point blanket $125+ shipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhDBrewer

Buckskin Baxter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is an old blanket styled after a Hudson Bay Company blanket. 3.5 point size. Some slight damage. No holes. I do not think that the dark spot is a stain. I have never cleaned it as my wife says that it has to be dry cleaned.
Asking $175 plus shipping.
Open for trades or B/O on any of my sales, trying to get things to folks that will use them.

Thanks for looking,

William

Attachments

• 20211007_120744.jpg
    20211007_120744.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211007_120748.jpg
    20211007_120748.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20211007_121013.jpg
    20211007_121013.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20211007_121020.jpg
    20211007_121020.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20211007_121036.jpg
    20211007_121036.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20211007_121048.jpg
    20211007_121048.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I'm not sure that that is a genuine Hudson's Bay blanket. It's hard to tell just by photographs, but the blanket seems thin, and old Hudson's Bay blankets did not have whip stitched edges. That would be a great price for the genuine article!! Does it have the Hudson's Bay tag sewn onto one of the corners? If I'm wrong about this, I just might buy it!!

Thanks for the reply. I know almost nothing about this blanket. It does not have a label. It is thicker than the old army issue wool blankets. I have never seen a "real" one.
After seeing your message I checked the fibers, in the blanket and the stitching, and they all seem to be wool (or animal fiber). I check by seeing how they would burn. they shrivel up like hair does and smell similar. So, I feel confident that it is all wool. It is slightly smaller than the dimensions listed on the web for a 3.5 point blanket. I think that the edge was worn and someone stitched them up. One side still has the loom edge. Do not know what this means.

As for being an original? I have no idea, was told it was. I do not want to rip people off... Just get things to people that will appreciate and use them. Heck, It could be cut up to make a nice capote.

I am not sure how much shipping would cost, but $125 + shipping to a good home should be fair.

Thank you for your interest.

~William

Thanks for the reply. I know almost nothing about this blanket. It does not have a label. It is thicker than the old army issue wool blankets. I have never seen a "real" one.
After seeing your message I checked the fibers, in the blanket and the stitching, and they all seem to be wool (or animal fiber). I check by seeing how they would burn. they shrivel up like hair does and smell similar. So, I feel confident that it is all wool. It is slightly smaller than the dimensions listed on the web for a 3.5 point blanket. I think that the edge was worn and someone stitched them up. One side still has the loom edge. Do not know what this means.

As for being an original? I have no idea, was told it was. I do not want to rip people off... Just get things to people that will appreciate and use them. Heck, It could be cut up to make a nice capote.

I am not sure how much shipping would cost, but $125 + shipping to a good home should be fair.

Thank you for your interest.

~William
Old, may not mean antique. They have been making that style for a long time,well over a century.
Bringham mills out of Utah made a similar blanket in the 1970s.
Look close at the black stripe. On HBC they were a dark navy blue. On Pendleton, Whitney and Bringham mills it’s black.

Well... must not be HBC.
The "points" are in black.
It still is a wool blanket though.
Thanks for the information.

I have a 115 year old HBC blanket on my bed presently, a gift from my great aunt years ago. The dark stripes are black, not dark blue. I've had the great pleasure to have obtained a few old blankets, with the HBC tags, over the years. Mine is white with candy stripes, and the ones I bought over the years were grey/blue with only one black stripe, but with the black point stripes. They are truly great blankets!!

And tenngun, it has the tag with HBC, made in England. My great aunt's father bought it on a Canadian hunting trip in the late 1890's. Them stripes are black!

We have two 4 point Hudson's in candy stripe, one very worn, the other fairly new, both tagged, both have Navy blue stripe. We also have one Brigham Mills in red with black stripe, 3 1/2 point, very nice, but not quite as heavy as HBC. The HBC blankets have no edge stitching, but the OP.s blanket looks good, perhaps a little worn, which might indicate it was trimmed, and then edge sewn. Which would account for it being slightly undersize, and even missing the tag. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: smo
uh oh. Now that two esteemed members of this forum have weighed in that the dark stripe on a candy stripe HBC blanket is blue, I had to go look at mine again. At first glance I was again convinced it was black. Then, under better light, I could see that it may very well be kinda blue. But very dark, very hard to see. So I felt I should gracefully acknowledge my ignorance! Didn't mean to hijack the thread!!

Old, may not mean antique. They have been making that style for a long time,well over a century.
Bringham mills out of Utah made a similar blanket in the 1970s.
Very true, I have a wool blanket with the same pattern that was purchased from Monkey Ward's or Sears Roebuck back in the 50's. Heck, Knowing my family it could have come from the Green Stamp store. Have a couple others with different patterns, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back