Hoyt rebore

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Brianc

40 Cal
Reaction score
I recently had occasion to purchase a couple original small caliber Ohio’s that are in pretty decent shape, all except the bore which is more like a sewer pipe. Anyone know what the turn around that Hoyt has is?

Tom Compton

54 Cal.
Reaction score
It varies of course. Mine was like 6 weeks. Great job and good service. He’s in eastern time zone. Call around 8 AM there

jaegerstutzen

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've a friend who had a Civil War era Enfield relined by Mr. Hoyt; his reputation is really stellar, from all accounts!
Bobby has done 4 bbls. for me over the past 40 years that I can remember. I use them in NSSA competition. He is our go to guy. None recently. In the day you might wait a year. Guess he is getting caught up. I asked him a few years ago "What are we going to do when you retire?" He said he's a gonna do it till he drops. Jaeger

SDSmlf

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I’ve gotten barrels back in as fast as 10 days or so, and also waited as long as about 2 months. Depends on his schedule. Call and ask.

dave951

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Turn around with Bobby varies. Depends on how busy he is.

Treestalker

Treestalker
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Hoyt has bored two barrels out to smooth bore for me; turn around was about 2 weeks or so. He's been doing his thing since the '70's that I know of; he's a past master at barrel work. You'll be delighted with his work and reasonable pricing. No worries.

Dave Fox

32 Cal
Reaction score
Well familiar with Mr. Hoyt. Visit with him whenever I tour Gettysburg. First rate. His speed is handicapped by a lack of help; just has a granddaughter working with him at present. I believe right now, with the North-south Skirmish boys in COVID limbo all these months, his turn-around time is reasonably rapid.

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Bobby has done a number of different barrels for me. I can't recommend his work highly enough. And very reasonable. That 1-2 months would be about right that I recall.

Ferret Master

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Bobby has done a total of 5 barrels for me in the last 3 years. First rate craftsman. Average of 2 months time. If it is going to take a long time he will tell you.

UndeadPoet

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a .50 Renegade that I am thinking of having Mr. Hoyt bore to a larger caliber for me. I was thinking of .54 smoothbore, but wanted to see if anyone would offer a different suggestion. I currently have .45, .50, and .54 RB twist rifles, and .50 and .54 1:48 twist ones (in addition to the Renegade). I figured I could shoot my .54 RBs through the new Renegade, or use it as an (approximately) 28 gauge. Should I stick to the .54 or is there a good argument to go to .56 or .58? I don’t currently have any .56 or .58 RBs, and I am not looking to make this a complete cannon to shoot (ie thump at both ends :) ). Also any argument against going smoothbore? I appreciate your insight, gentlemen.

‘Poet

UndeadPoet

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Also, as to usage- I will probably mostly shoot it for fun, and if I hunt with it, it will probably not be used for anything larger than Eastern whitetail.

Thanks!

Timber Wolf

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a .50 Renegade that I am thinking of having Mr. Hoyt bore to a larger caliber for me. I was thinking of .54 smoothbore, but wanted to see if anyone would offer a different suggestion. I currently have .45, .50, and .54 RB twist rifles, and .50 and .54 1:48 twist ones (in addition to the Renegade). I figured I could shoot my .54 RBs through the new Renegade, or use it as an (approximately) 28 gauge. Should I stick to the .54 or is there a good argument to go to .56 or .58? I don’t currently have any .56 or .58 RBs, and I am not looking to make this a complete cannon to shoot (ie thump at both ends :) ). Also any argument against going smoothbore? I appreciate your insight, gentlemen.

‘Poet

I have a .56 SB Renegade I like A LOT. It is a lot of fun to shoot and very easy to clean with the smooth bore. It is my go too BP long-gun for new shooters or if I just want to BP plink. That said, I would not pay money to have something custom made that I could buy ready-made (the .56) or that called for an odd size (.55) ball. To be fair I do use .535 balls I have around for my .54 in the .56 SB with a thick patch and it shoots fine at plinking distances. In your place I would go with a .58 smooth bore (or larger). I think you will be happier with the larger bore when shooting shot. Good luck.