How's the Trekking Scene?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in Arizona but love the F&I War. Not much trekking of that sort here, on foot or canoe. However, would be nice to visit places like Michigan etc. for treks.
ANy opinions?

Bnewberry

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I live in Southern Michigan and am just beginning to think about trekking. I used to live in Northern Arizona and wouldn't have to think twice about where to go trekking near the rim south of Winslow. But things are different here. There are a couple of National Forests that might work out. Maybe a few state lands as well.

I would say that right now, Spring, would be the time to do a trek as the woods are more open before the vegetation gets going.

David Veale

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Arizona but love the F&I War. Not much trekking of that sort here, on foot or canoe. However, would be nice to visit places like Michigan etc. for treks.
ANy opinions?
I'm in SW Michigan - would definitely be up for some trekking if you should make it up this way. Grew up backpacking, skiing, climbing, canoeing and kayaking, but all with nylon and gore-tex. Been making my own gear lately and love it;. It makes for a very different experience!

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Interesting!
I was in Michigan years ago visiting and my girlfriend at the time, knowing my interest in black powder, took me to a black powder indoor show. It was winter and I have the awesome memory of walking to that large wooden building with snow covering the ground and the trees dark against the white.
Inside were so many awesome things! Flintlocks, horns, clothing, accoutrements of all kinds, and people wearing the as well!!!

We tried to make it to the UP but the snow was too much and had to turn back.

I would love togo up there someday and do some trekking!!!!

I was in email correspondence with Mark Baker for a while and then sadly lost the contact with some things happening in my life. But he had told me as you did about trekking along the rim. I live right by the rim so that’s a good thing. But I still would love to go trek the NE!
Just bought a house and am trying to get back to finishing that rifle and my gear. Hopefully we can meet up in the not too distant future and do some trekking.

How far are you all from a full kit for trekking?
How strict to authenticity are you?
What era?
I really like the French and Indian War era.

David Veale

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing your question was directed to Bnewberry, but I'll chime in as well.

As for me, I got off on the wrong foot from the get go when I started in with a Beck style pennsylvania rifle adorned with german silver furniture (which wasn't invented until 1834)... so there's plenty of period incorrectness with me. But... most of my stuff since then would be suitable for the F&I to rev war era. I really like making my own goods (haven't yet built a firearm) though; have tanned all my own leather from our own cows from mocs to belt and shooting bag, made my own axe and knife, turnscrew, striker, and a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting. Am aware of and strive to meet AMM standards in clothing, but I'm not yet fully outfitted. My loosely defined persona is that of a german farmer ancestor from the Lancaster County area, who fought in the F&I. Trekking kit isn't fully filled out yet (mostly lacking a period correct tarp) but would be if I had an event in mind. Suffice it to say I'm not a super stickler for period correctness simply because I'm constantly learning about my past mistakes, but do my best as I learn and try to improve as I go. When I do make something, I personally refuse to use any modern synthetic materials, whether I think I could get away with hiding that fact or not. I'm in it to learn how to make and use the traditional materials as much as the techniques. Been thinking of making a packframe, but actual historical styles are difficult to document. For now it's all carried over the shoulders (bedroll mostly) and in a large haversack.

Bnewberry

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys are farther along than I am. I have a flintlock, early Virginia style, a shirt and a hat! No real persona, no set time period. I do like to make my own things and am working on a powder horn and possibles bag. I make knives so I have a gas forge and can make basic things like turnscrews and strikers as well.

The nice thing about Arizona is that there is a lot of National forest, and the forest is pretty open, easy to walk in. I used to bow hunt South of Winslow where I lived, both sides of highway 99 if I remember the number correctly. There are some nice wooded canyons that would be perfect for a trek.

Here in Michigan the woods grow a lot more brush, lots more poison ivy etc. That’s why the early Spring would be a good time. Of course late Fall/winter would work but there are a lot of deer hunters to compete with. Squirrel hunting would be better though.

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm guessing your question was directed to Bnewberry, but I'll chime in as well.

As for me, I got off on the wrong foot from the get go when I started in with a Beck style pennsylvania rifle adorned with german silver furniture (which wasn't invented until 1834)... so there's plenty of period incorrectness with me. But... most of my stuff since then would be suitable for the F&I to rev war era. I really like making my own goods (haven't yet built a firearm) though; have tanned all my own leather from our own cows from mocs to belt and shooting bag, made my own axe and knife, turnscrew, striker, and a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting. Am aware of and strive to meet AMM standards in clothing, but I'm not yet fully outfitted. My loosely defined persona is that of a german farmer ancestor from the Lancaster County area, who fought in the F&I. Trekking kit isn't fully filled out yet (mostly lacking a period correct tarp) but would be if I had an event in mind. Suffice it to say I'm not a super stickler for period correctness simply because I'm constantly learning about my past mistakes, but do my best as I learn and try to improve as I go. When I do make something, I personally refuse to use any modern synthetic materials, whether I think I could get away with hiding that fact or not. I'm in it to learn how to make and use the traditional materials as much as the techniques. Been thinking of making a packframe, but actual historical styles are difficult to document. For now it's all carried over the shoulders (bedroll mostly) and in a large haversack.

I was speaking to you as well.
Part of learning is screwing up! I did the renfaire thing a loooong time ago but went medieval. My early attempts were so bad that it's embarrassing! But you read, do, screw up, and learn.

For me, the period correctness thing is flexible. While sneakers and modern pack are not an option, for example, I am fine with a fiberglass canoe and my little collapsible rocket stove. I see it as the experience first, and if trying to get every single little thing perfect is going to get in the way, I'm fine with some creative anachronisms (and yeah, I was in the SCA for a short time).

The persona I am pretty set on now is a Spaniard who, as a boy, set out with some French priests, to learn to be a priest, and was caught up in Father Rale's War, survived the massacre, and stayed with the Wabenaki/Abenaki. So my clothing would be a mix of native and French. My firearm though is a Mark Silver rifle in .58 (from Jim Chambers). I know it's not something the French would use, but "I killed a Brit and kept it". I do want to get a Fusil de Chasse though. I'll tweak this as I learn more.

Life has just gotten in the way over and over. I've had this rifle kit since 2006, built a bench to work on it, worked a little on it back then, and then things just kept going sideways. It sat boxed up until recently. Built another bench to work on it, but still anxiously waiting to get back on it!
Right now I need to finish my rifle and get/make a few things like a powder horn and most of the clothing. I made a pack and a shooting pouch, but need to make a better pouch and add stronger straps for the pack.

Carved my tomahawk handle with a Swiss Army Knife, but unfortunately the handle broke soon after. So I need another handle. This time it stays plain.

I lived for a year right next to the Bethabara fort in Winston-Salem, NC and used to walk through the woods, down the hill from my apartment to the fort. I still miss the creek there and how nice it was.

Also met a fellow named Lance Butler and got to shoot a couple of flintlocks, which was awesome.

Arizona sure has some big areas to trek; I just have to do it. But the thing about the NE is the rivers and the history. I do hope to visit up there!
The history in Michigan and surrounding area seems awesome, and there are really awesome events that we don't get here. Over here I've seen the mountain man stuff, but it doesn't interest me. Anyway, again, I hope to get up there in the not too distant future!

Attachments

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just remembered some years ago there was a planned canoe trek through an area of Canada. I was trying my best to finish the rifle and make it to the event. That was right before everything went sideways. It was a big letdown when the word came out that flintlocks would not be allowed for whatever nonsense. The thought of doing a trek like that and not having flintlocks just seemed pointless. Everyone would be dressed in F&I clothing, on canoes, with period gear... but no forearms. Just seemed so ridiculous. I decided not to go.

Would be great to do something like that, with flintlocks of course!

David Veale

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You're definitely in a better spot in terms of public land. I spent most of my life in Washington, which was similar. Southern MI is decidedly lacking that way!

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
You're definitely in a better spot in terms of public land. I spent most of my life in Washington, which was similar. Southern MI is decidedly lacking that way!
yeah it seems that for historical events and clubs/groups you all in the East and North East are better off, but for trekking we’re better off out here.
It’s too bad all the BS with asinine laws etc. because it would be great to head to Canada and other states without having to deal with the madness of ridiculous restrictions.