• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

howdy im charlie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im looking to find a good dear load i have an american made cva mountain rifle 50 cal 1 in 66 twist any help would be great

Hello Charlie, from Indiana. Welcome to the forum. Your title may not get much response because it looks like an introduction instead of a question. Hopefully someone will chime in. I always kept my loads on the lighter side but it was always due to being able to have better accuracy. Also, a long shot for me was fifty yards. You will have to spend some range time but a good place to start is 65 grains either 2F or 3F. I generally used 2F. I never went over 85 grains myself. In the mean time, you might try the search option for deer hunting loads.
Good luck and have fun.

The states I've hunted in required a powder charge of at least 50 grains of powder. I say start with 55 grains, shoot a group and continue going up 5 grns at a time while shooting groups. 60 grns to 75 (+ or -) grains of 3F black or 70 to 85 grains of 2F would be the range where you should find an accurate load.

The states I've hunted in required a powder charge of at least 50 grains of powder. I say start with 55 grains, shoot a group and continue going up 5 grns at a time while shooting groups. 60 grns to 75 (+ or -) grains of 3F black or 70 to 85 grains of 2F would be the range where you should find an accurate load.
thanks and you are correct young guys should hang out with old guys we do know stuff im still young at 63

I built one of those from an American made kit. It was an excellent shooter. Still is since I passed it on to one of the grandkids.

Anyway, you asked about loads. I found that it shot equally well with 80 to 100 grains of 2f goex. It started off cloverleafs at 50 yards ( benched) and kept it up.

Matching ball and patch fit is a big part of it.

The one I had liked 65-70 grns of fffg and a .530 roundball.

I used blue stripe pillow ticking for patches (.018)

Welcome too the Forum!

for best accuracy I use about 70gr 2f for hunting I use 90 gr. I shoot 50-75 yds. most deer are down within 30 yds.

im looking to find a good dear load i have an american made cva mountain rifle 50 cal 1 in 66 twist any help would be great
If you are looking for dear - maybe one of the dating sites,,,,
If you are looking for deer - that 50 cal with a patched round ball and 70gr of 3f real black powder will do just fine.
Just make sure you spend some time at the local range getting it properly sighted in and the sights set to point of aim at around 75 yards.
That will adequately cover you from 25-100 yards for "minute of deer" accuracy.

If you will finish filling out your profile so we know where you are, you will likely find a local experienced muzzle loader that would be more than happy to meet up and help you get that rifle properly tuned for hunting.

I have 2 CVA mountains in 50 cal and one in 54 cal, one of the 50s is a flinter, both 50s like 100 gr of 2f goex with a .490 ball and pillow ticking patch.my barrel is PLENTY broke in built them in the mid 70s, taken lots of deer with them, I like those Mountain rifles, they fit me like a glove, and shoot very accurately. I even made a .32 cal barrel for the flinter, use that for squirrels and bunnies

I have 2 CVA mountains in 50 cal and one in 54 cal, one of the 50s is a flinter, both 50s like 100 gr of 2f goex with a .490 ball and pillow ticking patch.my barrel is PLENTY broke in built them in the mid 70s, taken lots of deer with them, I like those Mountain rifles, they fit me like a glove, and shoot very accurately. I even made a .32 cal barrel for the flinter, use that for squirrels and bunnies
I really like mine hard to get real black powder I'm using 490 ball 015 patch tripple 7

That must be a heavy 32!!
its a green mountain 13/16" cut to 32" I silver soldered 2 steel panels at the touchhole, and on the other side to fit tight against the RPL lock. the breech plug I machined from a bolt. the sights, and lugs, rib, all CVA parts. thimbles are from track of the wolf, to handle the reduced diameter ram rod. fits in there perfect.

its a green mountain 13/16" cut to 32" I silver soldered 2 steel panels at the touchhole, and on the other side to fit tight against the RPL lock. the breech plug I machined from a bolt. the sights, and lugs, rib, all CVA parts. thimbles are from track of the wolf, to handle the reduced diameter ram rod. fits in there perfect.
sounds like it would be fun to shoot

That's a slick adaptation.

It shoots awesome, its a squirrels worst nightmare, little .311 balls leave plenty of meat. and it fits just like any mountain rifle, just a little lighter.
the crocket rifle never felt good, it just didn't pull up like that mountain rifle. so I made due.

Back