• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Howdy From the Colorado High Country

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a beautiful place, that's for sure. I was just up there camping, but it would be fun to do some hunting there. And Centennial was the coolest little town I've ever been in. Really friendly folks, especially the fella that runs the Mountain View. If I had to leave Nebraska, no doubt that's the first place I'd look.
Next time you are in the area visit Encampment. It's on the other side of the mountain from Centennial. The museum there is fantastic. They have a mountain man rendezvous there every summer. The hunting in the Snowies is pretty good. Hopefully I'll draw that moose tag soon. I get moose on my property...almost daily.

Welcome. Depending on where in CO you are, there are several muzzleloading groups around. Check out the Mountain Man store in Manitou Springs. That was my "go to" place when I lived in Colorado Springs.
Thanks for the information. I'm a good distance from Co. Springs but I'll keep that in mind if I'm in the area.

Next time you are in the area visit Encampment. It's on the other side of the mountain from Centennial. The museum there is fantastic. They have a mountain man rendezvous there every summer. The hunting in the Snowies is pretty good. Hopefully I'll draw that moose tag soon. I get moose on my property...almost daily.

I wanted to get over there last time I was around, but the roads disagreed, despite it being in June. Go figure! Seems odd to me to have winter in June but I guess we had June in December with the weather last week, so maybe it's not as odd as I thought at the time. Anyways my dad and I are making a trip out there next year so if everything works out, we'll have to get over the hill to visit Encampment.

Not sure if you plan to hunt for elk in Colorado but they changed the laws a few years ago on a PRB. A .54 is the minimum now. You can still use a .50 PRB for deer.

Not sure if you plan to hunt for elk in Colorado but they changed the laws a few years ago on a PRB. A .54 is the minimum now. You can still use a .50 PRB for deer.
Yes! Thanks Mtnman. Knew that. Much Appreciated. I usually hunt with one of my original model 1895 unmentionables. 😉

Thanks for the info. I did know that as I give hunt briefings for a property in Colorado. Although, I primarily hunt archery with the occasional firearm hunt. That's good information for anyone that wants tu hunt Colorado. Maybe I'll look into a .54 cal.

Back