• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Howdy from Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have been lurking around and finally signed up on this forum. Glad I did. I am not totally new to muzzleloading but I had been without one for a while until 2 years ago when I bought a .50 caliber percussion and I put it on the back burner due to work schedule. I am now retired for the second time. In the past I owned a CVA .45 caliber Hawken. Never could get it to shoot right so I sold it. I then purchased a T/C Hawken .45 cal. kit and built it. Really liked that rifle and even took a deer with it. Unfortunately I sold it to help fund a Shiloh Sharps rifle. I got a sickness and now own 4 Sharps rifles. As much fun as they are, I decided to take out the used Lyman Great Plains .50 caliber rifle I bought and cleaned it up and started to shoot it. I do like the rifle except for all the warning stuff on the barrel, the lock and the set trigger. The set trigger I fixed by doing some tweaking. I purchased a new lock from Tim at L & R Lock Company and should be getting it soon. You are probably asking why I am putting money into a production gun. I bought it at a very resonable price. So far I have worked up a decent load that will work on Texas sized deer at 100 yards. Our deer are not big like they are in the northern states.

My goal is to build or purchase a custom Plains/Hawken style rifle in .54 caliber percussion. I also like the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, but these are getting up there with the custom guns. Also, since I don't have a flintlock in my collection, I would like to purchase one and learn more about them. I shot my friend's Kibler flintlock rifle and I was all over the place with it. Takes practice I guess.

Anyway, thanks for accepting me and hope to learn more muzzleloading from you guys and gals that have been around muzzleloading for a while.

Hi,
I was just up in your neck of the woods a little over a week ago. I was hunting elk in Unit 49 between Angle Fire and Taos. Lugged a highpowered rifle for 5 days and didn't see anything legal I could take. On the advice of the guide, he said to come back next year and hunt the muzzleloader season. He said it is more fun and not as much problem with other hunters like we had this season. If you hunt elk, I may be asking you some questions. Thanks

Good to see another Texan joining.....I'm getting too old and screwed up to do much anymore, but I love to help others.....

Good to see another Texan joining.....I'm getting too old and screwed up to do much anymore, but I love to help others.....

Well hell Stony, I am 71 years old and just keep working through the pain. Horse accident messed me up when I was in my late 30s and now those injuries are really bothering me. Doctor says to keep going so I do. Killing pigs on my place with a muzzleloader is a goal. Hang in there.

Jose

Well hell Stony, I am 71 years old and just keep working through the pain. Horse accident messed me up when I was in my late 30s and now those injuries are really bothering me. Doctor says to keep going so I do. Killing pigs on my place with a muzzleloader is a goal. Hang in there.

Jose
I'm up to 76 years old, and had to give up my hunting to major health problems....but I sure miss it. My last hog killed on one property was number #808. I have given away more hog legs than most people have ever seen....but I enjoyed every moment of it. One day I actually had a trap with 22 eatable hogs in it, so I tore into them until I had removed, skinned, cleaned and froze 44 legs. I hauled them all to a muzzleloader shoot and gave them away !

Hi, I have been lurking around and finally signed up on this forum. Glad I did. I am not totally new to muzzleloading but I had been without one for a while until 2 years ago when I bought a .50 caliber percussion and I put it on the back burner due to work schedule. I am now retired for the second time. In the past I owned a CVA .45 caliber Hawken. Never could get it to shoot right so I sold it. I then purchased a T/C Hawken .45 cal. kit and built it. Really liked that rifle and even took a deer with it. Unfortunately I sold it to help fund a Shiloh Sharps rifle. I got a sickness and now own 4 Sharps rifles. As much fun as they are, I decided to take out the used Lyman Great Plains .50 caliber rifle I bought and cleaned it up and started to shoot it. I do like the rifle except for all the warning stuff on the barrel, the lock and the set trigger. The set trigger I fixed by doing some tweaking. I purchased a new lock from Tim at L & R Lock Company and should be getting it soon. You are probably asking why I am putting money into a production gun. I bought it at a very resonable price. So far I have worked up a decent load that will work on Texas sized deer at 100 yards. Our deer are not big like they are in the northern states.

My goal is to build or purchase a custom Plains/Hawken style rifle in .54 caliber percussion. I also like the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, but these are getting up there with the custom guns. Also, since I don't have a flintlock in my collection, I would like to purchase one and learn more about them. I shot my friend's Kibler flintlock rifle and I was all over the place with it. Takes practice I guess.

Anyway, thanks for accepting me and hope to learn more muzzleloading from you guys and gals that have been around muzzleloading for a while.
Welcome from Maryland. I did some time at Ft Hood back in the 70s still got friends near Austin.
As far as the safety info, you know you can always have the barrel defarbed completely or just have the info moved to the bottom under the furniture if you ever plan to sell it. That information is for the 1%ers who buy dangerous toys and know nothing about them, over and over and over.
KIMG0290.JPG

There are people out there who need to be told EVERYTHING!

Back