• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Howdy from NE Texas.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mujiir

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am 67 years old, and just got my first BP rifle... Yeah, better late than never, right? It is a CVA Mountain (percussion cap) rifle in 50 cal. $310 delivered to my house. It will arrive 10/19/21 so I don't actually have it in hand yet, but I am pretty excited to give it a go. Many years ago I had a reproduction 44 cal Rem Army cap n ball pistol that I had lots of fun with, but traded it away for something... I can't remember what. Seems like back then you could find black powder and caps pretty much everywhere that sold guns. Now... where are we finding black powder for these things?
13500908_01_cva_kentucky_rifle_640.jpg

Welcome to the forum Mujiir !

I bought my FFFg from Powder Inc, I felt the price was reasonable and had them ship six pounds

For Jags, gizmos, tools I do Track of the Wolf which no one hardly ever spells it out so look for TOTW or TOW

I buy percussion caps wherever I see them, generally Walmart

Love the gun you bought as shown in your picture

I was 67 last year and just celebrated my birthday

Have a safe and fun time with that rifle!

Thanks Mr Davey! I just noticed the "no questions, just introductions" in the heading. So thanks for not flaming me over coloring outside the lines on my first post. ;-) And thanks for answering my question. I have been shooting since I was a kid, so I am well schooled on safety with firearms. That said, there may be safety issues with a black powder rifle that I may not be aware of... If you know of something a newbie to BP rifles might need to know, please share.

Thanks again from a fellow Dave.

Nice looking rifle. Welcome, from NC!

Don’t smoke around black powder or substitutes. :)
Make a mark on your ramrod that shows when the barrel is unloaded. (ie, put your ramrod in the empty barrel and make a cut or take a sharpie and mark the ramrod where it sticks out of the muzzle).
Make a mark on your ramrod that shows when your barrel is loaded. (ie, after you have loaded powder, patch and ball/bullet, put your ramrod in the barrel and make a cut or mark with a pencil or sharpie where it sticks out of the muzzle).

These “safety” marks will allow you to see whether your rifle is loaded or not.

Pay attention when loading and always make sure you put the powder in first. :)

‘Poet

I do not know how proficient you are with computers

I make a living with them and I strongly despise them

Anyway, here is a link, click on it and it should take you to a readable PDF file that you can read now or download to save and read whenever

Hawken Manual 05 2009 (tcarms.com)

You may find it very helpful

The forum has more information than you can dream about, it gets hashed and repeated over and over from many many posts, so I suggest you use the search feature to roam through the posts

You will find some great information also by selecting a forum section like Percussion Rifles, instead of reading the latest post , start from the older posts and read them from old to new

And learn to do Private Messages (PM) and how to post your questions other than New Member introductions so we don't get scolded for ramblin here

Welcome Mujiir from balmy AZ. I got in trouble my first post for asking and discussing questions I had in my introduction post. Unfortunately, the guy who would have made the correction has passed on. Your safety question would fit nicely in the general muzzleloading sub-forum. Take care and see you around.

I am 67 years old, and just got my first BP rifle... Yeah, better late than never, right? It is a CVA Mountain (percussion cap) rifle in 50 cal. $310 delivered to my house. It will arrive 10/19/21 so I don't actually have it in hand yet, but I am pretty excited to give it a go. Many years ago I had a reproduction 44 cal Rem Army cap n ball pistol that I had lots of fun with, but traded it away for something... I can't remember what. Seems like back then you could find black powder and caps pretty much everywhere that sold guns. Now... where are we finding black powder for these things? View attachment 99915
Welcome! I see you are from N.E. Texas? Are you close to or familiar with Hooks ?
I had a CVA in .54 cal. it was a made before they started putting patch boxes on them. It was a very good rifle and accurate as well.

Back