• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Howdy from NE Texas.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, I grew up in Cass County.
Welcome! I see you are from N.E. Texas? Are you close to or familiar with Hooks ?
I had a CVA in .54 cal. it was a made before they started putting patch boxes on them. It was a very good rifle and accurate as well.

I am in Titus county, about 8 miles NE of Mount Pleasant, out near Argo TX. 10 acres, a few horses, chickens, pigs... hobby farm kind of guy. Loving life in retirement. God bless Texas!

Attachments

• PA150205.JPG
    PA150205.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 27
I am 67 years old, and just got my first BP rifle... Yeah, better late than never, right? It is a CVA Mountain (percussion cap) rifle in 50 cal. $310 delivered to my house. It will arrive 10/19/21 so I don't actually have it in hand yet, but I am pretty excited to give it a go. Many years ago I had a reproduction 44 cal Rem Army cap n ball pistol that I had lots of fun with, but traded it away for something... I can't remember what. Seems like back then you could find black powder and caps pretty much everywhere that sold guns. Now... where are we finding black powder for these things? View attachment 99915
Welcome, just got started in BP myself, at 65.

Welcome, I grew up in Cass County.
Small world. My grandparents owned a place in Bloomburg, Cass county, TX. Spent many summers there, first gun and learning to shoot happened there.
I'm also a new Texan on here. Been shooting muzzleloaders since 1978, still have my 1st one, T/C Hawken 45 cal. Just bought my first flinter and going to get back into shooting black powder.

Welcome from The Woodlands, just south of Conroe.
Way too many people around here, now. Back in '71, when we moved to Texas, it was still on the edge of the Piney Woods. Now, it's a suburb of Houston.
I was in the Conroe High School class of '72, making me 67, too, and just getting into muzzleloading. I'm waiting on delivery today of my new-to-me Poor Boy rifle, patterned after the Lehigh Valley/Northhampton school of builders, where I was born.
The history of these guns is fascinating! And this forum is a great place to learn all about them!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Thanks Mr Davey! I just noticed the "no questions, just introductions" in the heading. So thanks for not flaming me over coloring outside the lines on my first post. ;-) And thanks for answering my question. I have been shooting since I was a kid, so I am well schooled on safety with firearms. That said, there may be safety issues with a black powder rifle that I may not be aware of... If you know of something a newbie to BP rifles might need to know, please share.

Thanks again from a fellow Dave.
OK
Never load from the powder horn or can.
Use a non-sparking powder measure, brass, horn, or wood
Never put your face over the barrel
Never "palm" the ram rod when ramming the ball down the barrel
Never cap the rifle until you are ready to shoot

You can use Pyrodex or other black powder substitutes if black powder isn't available

Welcome from Idaho and have a grand time.

Back