• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy from Houston

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a long time modern rifle hunter (left handed) since i was a kid and have also hunted with a modern inline muzzleloader for the past decade. Several good friends who I have hunted elk with in Montana have been encouraging me to get into primitive firearms. These guys make their own bows/arrows and have built numerous muzzleloaders from kits! After seeing the joy and pride they have for their way of hunting, I'm really excited to turn back the clock and try something completely different. Hoping to get hooked, excited for something new, and looking forward to learning from all the folks here at the muzzleloading forum. Cheers!

Currently I'm thinking about a first rifle with the following features (yeah, I'm thinking it might be the first of many, haha)
- 54 cal (to target shoot as well as hunt elk, deer, and feral hogs)
- percussion (worried about being a lefty shooting a right hand flintlock)
- rocky mountain heritage / style
- barrel twist rate suitable for both conical bullets as well as round balls (not a hunting choice, just would like to try both out)
- not so beautiful that I won't mind using it in rough terrain
- pay more for function (accuracy) versus form (looks)

My name's Nick and very much open to thoughts/suggestions/etc.

Welcome, Nick! Sounds like a good shooter. You are describing a Hawken-style rifle, with a 1:48” twist. Lots of potential rifles could fit: T/C, CVA, or Traditions, Hawken, T/C Renegade, Lyman (Investarms) GPR (although twist will be 1:60ish”), Lyman (Pedersoli) GPR 1:48” but pricey, and many others. Some of these rifles are no longer made, but can often be found in the classifieds on this forum. Good luck!

Welcome from Maine. If you post questions in the other sections of the forum, more people will see them.
Nit Wit

Howdy, Nick,
Welcome from The Woodlands.
Left-handed guns are available in percussion and flint nowadays.
However, percussion caps are very hard to find right now.
Maybe reconsider flint, or you can make your own caps.
However you go, you'll get plenty of support from the forum.
Welcome, and keep your powder dry!
Brazos John

Back