• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Howdy from Gettysburg!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy folks! I'm a living historian, re-enactor, and hunter, originally from Southwest Virginia, but now living in Adams County, near the Gettysburg battlefield. I was a Civil War re-enactor for 15 years, but then life, job, marriage, and kids happened, and so I hung it up ten years ago.

Now, that my kids are older and I have more free time on my hands, I've been getting back into living history, this time for the French & Indian and Revolutionary War periods by supporting the interpretive programs at local historical sites like Fort Frederick and Fort Loudon. I'm currently researching the firearms that were available from 1750 through 1800, and naturally gravitated to this fine forum. So I registered and wanted to stop in and say hi! Lots of accumulated experience and knowledge I hope to tap into as I do my research and start my collection of 18th century civilian and military flintlocks.
Great! Rev War enacting seems to be chugging along; you may have noticed many are leaving or aging-out of CW enacting. I have a good friend that spent much time at G-burg for business and owned property there; he has many interesting relics found on private property. This is a nice forum, you will be happy with many of the helpful tips passed along. Have a great Summer. (I did Rev War enacting from 1975-85, an interesting time as the country seemed to like the Bi-Cen without all the current history-cancelling BS.

Great! Rev War enacting seems to be chugging along; you may have noticed many are leaving or aging-out of CW enacting. I have a good friend that spent much time at G-burg for business and owned property there; he has many interesting relics found on private property. This is a nice forum, you will be happy with many of the helpful tips passed along. Have a great Summer. (I did Rev War enacting from 1975-85, an interesting time as the country seemed to like the Bi-Cen without all the current history-cancelling BS.

Yes, indeed! I'm 50 and I know I've aged out of ACW for sure since I no longer look like a scrawny southern boy and can't run around in the woods hooping and hollering like an Indian while packing 30 pounds of gear like I did 20 years ago. 😄 Thus far, the slower-paced FIW and RevWar living histories seem much easier on paunchy old fogeys like me, and with a militia impression, you can get away with being old, grey, and fat during musters and not look out of place. I've also encountered former ACW reenactors from my time doing Early America-period events since they too have aged out and also got sick and tired of the modern politics that's targeting Civil War history and historians. It's less stressful since nobody is going to beat you over the head about 18th century era history and politics. Anyway, volunteering at Fort Frederick was the best thing I have done in years and I won't be looking back!

Yes, indeed! I'm 50 and I know I've aged out of ACW for sure since I no longer look like a scrawny southern boy and can't run around in the woods hooping and hollering like an Indian while packing 30 pounds of gear like I did 20 years ago. 😄 Thus far, the slower-paced FIW and RevWar living histories seem much easier on paunchy old fogeys like me, and with a militia impression, you can get away with being old, grey, and fat during musters and not look out of place. I've also encountered former ACW reenactors from my time doing Early America-period events since they too have aged out and also got sick and tired of the modern politics that's targeting Civil War history and historians. It's less stressful since nobody is going to beat you over the head about 18th century era history and politics. Anyway, volunteering at Fort Frederick was the best thing I have done in years and I won't be looking back!
Great! BTW, a well-known dealer whom I will not name, told a friend that for every guy coming in to buy a new ACW musket, there's three or more wanting to sell their used one due to retiring from the field hobby. Best of luck!

Back