• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Howdy from Florida

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
400 yd, in house range. I'd never leave home. I must drive 1 1/2 hrs for a decent range, no kidding. I'm knee deep in knee jerk liberalism where I'm at. However once I go a little further north I'm home or at ease with my hobbies. I came to Florida for the Mrs. and bought in a development. I would've liked my own porch and some land but If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Welcome from a Md. Transplant to north central Fl.
Welcome from Fla. Port Malabar RPC has a Black Powder club. Where are you located, North, Central, or South Fl.?
I'm in Central Florida. It's been my post-retirement landing pad for a few years. I don't know of any black powder clubs, per se, but I believe there might be some SASS activity around here.

What's around north central Fl muzzleloader wise? I come from a large & deeply rooted muzzleloading area, I've not seen anything around me muzzleloader wise that I'd want to mess with. I heard about some guys shootin traditional inside a 100yds & free standing not too far from me. But I only have 1 sidelock anymore & it's a custom Sporter & shoots modern jacketed or cast pistol bullets. I heard someone mention of an 800yd shooting range somewhere near Lake City Fl., but I don't remember who said it & can't seem to locate anything about it online. There are 2- 100yd public ranges within 30-45 min drive, but I have a 400yd range on the fam property that I'm stayin at. So no need for them. I hear a lot of shooting from all kinds of guns during deer season around here. Except for other muzzleloader blasts- notta 1 within ear shot in 7yrs of stayin here. That's all very strange for me. I need a free place to shoot my inlines to 600yds. Any suggestions?
Manatee Outdoor Shooting Range in Myakka has an 800yd range. If you want to really stretch the legs of any of your rifles, that's the place to do it.

400 yd, in house range. I'd never leave home. I must drive 1 1/2 hrs for a decent range, no kidding. I'm knee deep in knee jerk liberalism where I'm at. However once I go a little further north I'm home or at ease with my hobbies. I came to Florida for the Mrs. and bought in a development. I would've liked my own porch and some land but If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.
I fully understand being the square peg surrounded by round holes. Im in the same boat but with the other side of that spectrum. I proudly take neither side. I've been fortunate to have been able to live , be raised in the country. Where we grew gardens & hunted & fished & in more times than not, lived where we could shoot out the doors & windows, fish right out the window, or grab any gun ya wanted & just walk to where you could shoot & hunt anything you wanted, any time you needed the meat. Here in the last 7yrs since leaving Md. to come to north florida, the fam has 20 acres surrounded by hundreds & hundreds of acres I can hunt in. I've shot 1 Osceola Tom out the back door with my TC Seneca .40 cal & 2 deer off the back porch in the west field which is 135yds straight out & 160yds to the left corner where they enter & exit the field normally. BUt I hunt with a gps & a self-climber too & cover some ground turkey hunting. We get an occasional coyote & bobcat come through once in a while & black bear tracks within 500 yds of the house 2 times that I know of. We have huge flocks of REAL Osceola Turkeys of over 50 at times all around the house almost daily. I have wild crows & squirrels that come see me every single day & I feed them. NOt much at all to do around here except for work & bench shoot at my totally Hucklebuck setup. BUt its 400yds to shoot in the back yard, so, not to dang bad. I've had to drive an hr for use of 100 or a clubs 200yd ranges for a brief period in my life. It wasn't entertaining at all lol. Thanks for the great reply, Well wishes

Manatee Outdoor Shooting Range in Myakka has an 800yd range. If you want to really stretch the legs of any of your rifles, that's the place to do it.
Awesome TrapperDude, luv the SN too. Yes, I have a .45 Paramount that I've hotrodded up abit & have the ballistics capability to deer, black bear, & pig hunt with sub moa out to 600yds. I'm zeroed at 200yds & can shoot 1 ragged hole 3 shot groups with it. I just got it on paper ( in 2 shots, using holdovers in scope ) at my 400yd target. I need to spend more time at 300 & 400yds with some new bullets I got. I'll look that range up right now. Thanks so much

Awesome TrapperDude, luv the SN too. Yes, I have a .45 Paramount that I've hotrodded up abit & have the ballistics capability to deer, black bear, & pig hunt with sub moa out to 600yds. I'm zeroed at 200yds & can shoot 1 ragged hole 3 shot groups with it. I just got it on paper ( in 2 shots, using holdovers in scope ) at my 400yd target. I need to spend more time at 300 & 400yds with some new bullets I got. I'll look that range up right now. Thanks so much
All of my shooting with rifles takes place from 300yds on in. Those are centerfire, though. As I've done more work with the pistols, I've been wanting to get a flintlock rifle, too. That will be a while, though. The wife puts hard caps on my annual purchases. I had to beg to get permission to buy my Traditions Trapper, highlighting the extended lack of availability with the flintlock version and the fact that only a few were left in stock. I have seen some nice flint locks from Traditions that look nice, too. I'm a big fan of the set triggers that are on some of their rifles and that pistol I bought from them.

I just looked that range up, I'm a long ways away from it. I live about 20 min drive from Osceola range in Lake City. I'm about 45min drive from Ft White. Neither place has any interest to me. I hear some guys once a month shoot traditional Ml's with PRB only, free standing at under 100yds. I don't have any PRB Ml's, my sidelock is custom & the one I'm building next will be really custom for a sidelock. I'd like to get a Gibbs or a Rigby & shoot conicals with target sights out to 500yds & I want to see how far this Paramount with what I'm doing with it will continue to shoot sub moa out to.

All of my shooting with rifles takes place from 300yds on in. Those are centerfire, though. As I've done more work with the pistols, I've been wanting to get a flintlock rifle, too. That will be a while, though. The wife puts hard caps on my annual purchases. I had to beg to get permission to buy my Traditions Trapper, highlighting the extended lack of availability with the flintlock version and the fact that only a few were left in stock. I have seen some nice flint locks from Traditions that look nice, too. I'm a big fan of the set triggers that are on some of their rifles and that pistol I bought from them.
I would have had a new ole lady a long time ago brother. I run my house & my money & my boys have never been in a purse. I've been told " if you buy another gun or Harley parts before ... blah blah blah I'm leaving. I'll go buy 2 guns & put the bike in the shop too. Cya L8R. Thats that. The old flinters are cool, the nostalgia of them I too am fond of. BUt I've never owned one & have no desire to own one, no smooth bore bs either. I'd enjoy hangin out with some guys that are shooting them & I'd love to pull a few triggers, but never gonna dress in colonial garb or Daniel Boone style either. Just not my style.

I just looked that range up, I'm a long ways away from it. I live about 20 min drive from Osceola range in Lake City. I'm about 45min drive from Ft White. Neither place has any interest to me. I hear some guys once a month shoot traditional Ml's with PRB only, free standing at under 100yds. I don't have any PRB Ml's, my sidelock is custom & the one I'm building next will be really custom for a sidelock. I'd like to get a Gibbs or a Rigby & shoot conicals with target sights out to 500yds & I want to see how far this Paramount with what I'm doing with it will continue to shoot sub moa out to.
A trip out there takes a couple hours for me, so going there is for really dedicated rifle time. There are a couple of places for rifles closer by, but those only go to 100yds. Handguns have been my real favorite for a long time, though, and there is no shortage of places to shoot those, fortunately.

I would have had a new ole lady a long time ago brother. I run my house & my money & my boys have never been in a purse. I've been told " if you buy another gun or Harley parts before ... blah blah blah I'm leaving. I'll go buy 2 guns & put the bike in the shop too. Cya L8R. Thats that. The old flinters are cool, the nostalgia of them I too am fond of. BUt I've never owned one & have no desire to own one, no smooth bore bs either. I'd enjoy hangin out with some guys that are shooting them & I'd love to pull a few triggers, but never gonna dress in colonial garb or Daniel Boone style either. Just not my style.
I haven't had much interest in smooth bores or dressing up to shoot. For me, the whole process is about just being good with a new type of system. I figure that the revolver takes care of learning a percussion system, so the flintlock was the next logical step. It's just about the particular weapon for me.

TrapperDude, if you know about Myakka you must know about Okeechobee Shooting Center. Great place to go shooting. I lived in the West Palm Beach/ Lake Worth area and went to Okeechobee all the time with my shooting buddy. Brian
I haven't heard about that one. I'm well west and north of Myakka, so Okeechobee would be an even longer hump. However, the camping looks like it might be nice out there after looking them up. The wife and I could go there for both the range and for camping.

Welcome from Cocoa Beach. I am a member of Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol Club. They are located in Palm Bay Florida. We have a dedicated Black Powder range with 25, 50 and 100 yard berms. Starting in October we will have Fun Shoots once a month. You would be welcome to join us for a Fun shoot. I shoot a 54 cal Flintlock, 11 gauge double and a Pietta 1858 Remington 44 army.

Welcome from Lake Co Florida.
When I saw your screen name, I was expecting you to be writing about Tarpon Springs. Your county tells me you were talking about the fish, though.😀
Welcome from Cocoa Beach. I am a member of Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol Club. They are located in Palm Bay Florida. We have a dedicated Black Powder range with 25, 50 and 100 yard berms. Starting in October we will have Fun Shoots once a month. You would be welcome to join us for a Fun shoot. I shoot a 54 cal Flintlock, 11 gauge double and a Pietta 1858 Remington 44 army.
I'd love to visit your club, but that's a bit of a hike for me. I have a Remington 1858 .44 New Army, also. It's a stainless Uberti I got a few years ago. I did a good bit of research before picking a revolver, and the 1858 was the way to go. The full frame and removable cylinder are great features. I bought two extras to go with it. It's nice to load them up the night before a range trip. The look of the Remington is also a big plus to me. It is one sleek looking revolver.

I'd like to get a Model 1860 Army, too. It doesn't have the Remington's functional features, but it still has its own clean lines and historical significance.

I sure wish we had something like that near me. The closest muzzleloading club is near Orlando and that’s 90 minutes away with the traffic. As far as
I know there are no ML clubs or shoots inside an hour from me. Therefore I usually shoot alone.

Latest posts

Back