• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Howdah Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the dual 50. Lots of fun to shoot. But i am having problems loading mine. I shoot .490 balls with .005 patch. Started with .015 patch but took more muscle power than i have to get the ball to seat. Afraid i was boing to break the wood handle. What do you use? I would like to comment on anyone getting a new one. Be very careful how you load. I made the mistake of double loading 1 barrel. Now i hold the triggers toward me and load left to right. So i wont make that mistake again.

IF it was mine, I would "mic the bore" as SOME firearms are NOT what they are marked. = A friend of mine here in SA has a "mountain rifle" re-pro that is marked .54 cal. on the barrel. Careful measuring indicates that it's actually about a .52 bore.

yours, satx

I am not willing to take Joe Biden's advice. I think criminals are smarter. When they see that double gun, they know you got two chances. 2 and done! Intimidating, to the average burglar, yes.

EXACTLY.

Though, oddly enough, "gazing into HELL" (Looking down the muzzle of a DB) is plenty to send most criminals "fleeing for their life".

Of the 124 reported "armed home protection incidents" in Metropolitan San Antonio, since 01/01/13, only 35 (as of yesterday) resulted in wounds by gunfire, including 18 criminals who are now GYD.- One wonders how many such incidents were NOT reported to LE agencies?
(As the most common "home defense weapon" in TX is a shotgun, you won't be surprised that a large percent of those shootings by householders are fatal.)

yours, satx

Try using a .010 thick patch instead of the .015 patch your using now.

Pistols normally use only about half the powder load used in rifles and they can work very nicely with thinner patches.
A well lubricated, thinner patch will greatly reduce the amount of force needed to start the patch/ball into the muzzle and make ramming them down the bore much easier.

This is especially true with a smoothbore.
The smoothbores don't really need a overly tight patch because they don't have rifling grooves to seal. Their patch only has to provide some lube , hold the ball in position and keep the undersize ball from rattling down the barrel when the gun fires.

Latest posts

Back