• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah Pistol - More Powder/Velocity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,
Finally got to burn some more Pyrodex P in our Pedersoli .62cal with PRB. The following loads have proved safe in our weapon but can not recommend their use in any other.
As you may remember we achieved 660fps with 40gr (by volume) of powder.
Today we registered 910fps with 70gr. Clearly, the powder (in excess of 40gr) is not all being blown out of the barrel unburned as some people seem to think it should. It may not be at maximum efficiency of grains burned vs velocity achieved but suits our purposes.
We are now in an acceptable power range for our requirements at a hair singing distance. Mr. BrownBear may find it acceptable for his use as well. With this heavy of a firearm, the recoil is not uncomfortable.

In my usual perfect hindsight, must reconsider Mr. DanChamberlain's comment regarding possible blow bye. The PBR only requires using thumb pressure to get the ball below the mouth of the muzzle. Then they are easily seated with a minimum of effort. Fired patches look good with no evidence of burning/leakage. We had cleaned the bore after each three shot string for velocity average.
Today, I did not clean between each string of shots. The PRBs still seated easily but there was a noticeable difference in the pressure required to seat the ball, as shooting progressed.
Now here's the thing: Just for the heck of it, re-shot the 65gr loading (without cleaning the bore) and the velocity was 921fps! 20+ fps above the 70gr charge. It would appear the small amount of fouling present in the bore was enabling an even tighter seal, resulting in a slightly higher velocity with less powder.

So, after working up a shot load next session, think I will revisit this and try using a lubed wad between the PRB and powder, for a better seal.
Best Wishes

Watching this one with interest, as I just finished my howdah kit and haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. Given your velocity with 40 grains, the pedersoli recommended charge sounds pretty anemic, though my understanding is that it was published in the interest of recoil control. I concur with your thoughts regarding the fouling providing a better seal, but it raises a safety flag with me-perhaps those heavier powder charges should be relagated to a first or second shot only.

After reading about the Howdah here, and watching the videos of Howdahs being fired on youTube, I think a .62 Howdah would be the perfect complement for my .62 jaeger being built. Yes, YOU GUYS ARE GREAT FOR FEEDING THE ADDICTION :shake: :rotf: :rotf:

I'm going to try your 70gr load. To date I have shot .62 prb at 50gr. I may try using a .020 patch instead of the ,015 I have been using.

good report. anyway you could do a group measurement on a 6-8" target at say around 20'? that is about as close as I would let a big 'un get to me before fireing.

Back