• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah Pistol (20ga) - Velocity Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,
Ran a few rounds across the screens this morning, looking for a load to fulfill our requirements. We do not recommend said powder charges for use in any weapon other than our own.

The following is respectfully submitted:
The wheel weight RBs were cast from a Lee mold three or four years ago.
Patches were made from washed pillow ticking, cut at the muzzle.
The patch lube was Hoppe's 9 Plus Black Powder Solvent & Patch Lubricant.
Pyrodex P was from a previously opened container, probably 10 to 12 years old. Charge measured by volume. Measure finger tapped on side to settle charge for consistent volume density; to our standards.
RBs were started down the bore using thumb pressure only.
CCI No. 11 standard Percussion Caps were used.
Shots fired from right barrel only.
Screens were 10' from muzzle.

25gr -- 459fps
30gr -- 574fps
35gr -- 621fps
40gr -- 660fps
45gr -- 743fps
50gr -- 798fps

Ran out of time before completing our review.
This is a heavy weapon. Subsequently, recoil was very lite to easily manageable with the powder charges used. Certainly less noticeable than firing a full power load of BP and 250gr bullet in a Colt 1873, .45cal.
Our perceived requirements call for a little higher velocity. When time permits, will increase powder charges a little bit more.
Also, will run our version of a penetration test; when time permits.
After that, shot charges to be reviewed with the intention of use on Grouse, Hare and Squirrels at shorter ranges.
Best Wishes

Thanx for the data.

Sounds like a pretty deadly pistol.

How heavy is the ball?

Skillet

I would think the velocity for 50 grains powder should be higher....perhaps nearing 1200fps?
maybe a tighter patch would help? maybe I am wrong???

scalper said:
I would think the velocity for 50 grains powder should be higher....perhaps nearing 1200fps?
maybe a tighter patch would help? maybe I am wrong???

1200 FPS from a .62 ball in a pistol? That's gonna take a heckuva stout charge! 50 grains in a .50 pistol won't get you 1200 FPS. At least not in mine. No biggy though, that's a heavy ball and it's going to penetrate well, even at lower velocities. I'm going to be interested to see the results for birdshot.

sorry...dont know what made me think it was a .50 pistol....perhaps thats what I get fer trying to post as soon as I wake up.
my " other " pistol can get 1200fps but I can talk about it here.

Mr. Plink,
Concur with your thoughts. We do not believe 1200fps for a .62cal PRB is feasible/practical with this short barrel and Black Powder/Pyrodex.
If someone has achieved said level of performance in this type of pistol, would appreciate hearing about it.
Best Wishes

You "wheel weight" lead may be a tad too hard. If the balls don't obturate and help seal off the gas, you could be getting substantial blow by and that would bleed off velocity.

Dan

Mr. Chamberlain,
What you say has merit but the patches look good. No visible evidence (to my eye) of blow bye/burning around the point of seal.
When time permits, will try some slightly higher powder charges to evaluate velocity gained vs each additional 5gr of powder.
Best Wishes

Mr. HighRocker,
Thank you for sharing. The pistol you have is very beautiful.
Ours weighs about twice that of yours. Subsequently, recoil is quite moderate at 60gr Pyrodex P, 843fps. However, in my hand it does not balance well and is a bit awkward to shoot if my left hand is placed forward of the trigger guard. Perhaps with time/experience perceptions will improve.
Best Wishes

A timely thread.
Just today I got around to patterning a 20 gauge nine inch barreled Howdah that I picked up from Middlesex recently.
Since it's a short range affair I patterned it at ten yards this first time. I was favorably impressed. The patterns were very uniform, though wide. There was 60% coverage and even enough that it would be good enough for birds out to maybe 15 yards.
The load was 3/4 oz of 7.5s, 55 grains FFg (two drams), Nitro card, 1/4" cushion and OS card, Nice shooter. Horrible trigger.
The ten gauges must've been pretty fierce. But, then, so are tigers.
More work to be done of course at lower powder and heavier shot charge weights - though I imagine with the short barrels, I'll hit diminishing returns pretty quickly.
Pete
Pete

Mr. D.,
Thank you for sharing.
By any chance, have you tested penetration capabilities with the 7.5s?
As with several others on this forum, we use old tin cans that held vegetables, etc. Have found that at whatever distance it will penetrate the can, it will reliably take Grouse, etc.
We will get back to the testing of loads just as soon as it quits snowing, probably at the end of this week.
Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back