• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah-do?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning!

Just can’t get Michael Douglas’ double barrelled howdah pistol out of my mind. I found two on the internet - a Pedersoli for $1000 and a Lancaster for $13,000.

So has anyone built one of these out of a 20 ga percussion side-by- side? I think that depending on the condition of the weapon it shout take a patched round ball within certain perameters.

Asking for myself.

don

Hi,

I didn't build a Pedersoli Howdah 20/20 (like from a kit), but I tore down my new one as soon as I got it out of its case after delivery and refinished the steel and wood to my liking. It ain't yours till you mess with it. I should have bought a kit (if one is available - I didn't look. Then built a storage box for it and its acoutrements. This is posted with pictures elsewhere.

Yeah, the kit is available, but pricey. I’d like to see your pictures if possible.

Another option is to cut down cheaper left and right handed rifle barrels and solder them together - i don’t know if a rib would be necessary. You’d need to custom build the stock and inlet for the locks, etc. but i think you’d come in well under Pedersoli’s $700 tag.

don

The 20 gage takes a 60 cal ball. They are not cheap but you could not get a better
home defense gun to rebuff a home invader when loaded with 2ought Buck shot. There
is a 12 gage non historical version out with 209 primer ignition. Stay with the Howdah.
Sawed-off shotguns are illegal or send a villainous message. The Howdah is exempted
due to being a replica of an antique shikari gun used in Colonial India. Save up, wait a
bit longer and get the real antique based gun kit for quality and legal reasons. You will
be lucky to find a kit today. They can be bought on credit as well. If you went to sell
it Pedersoli is a distinguished and trusted gun master maker. In life, we live with our
decisions, and what is good is often hard to get and costs more.

Last edited:
You asked to see:
Here is my Pedersoli Howdah 20/20 after I removed the brown (Cerakote?), removed the satin varnish and finished the walnut with teak oil followed with Tru-Oil until glossy, and added ivory (imitation) to the grip.
9CF2D4D6-C397-4961-A5DA-900DC535CABB.jpeg

16CCE265-F4D2-4311-A74C-3B5CA5B46347.jpeg

61883292-4487-4FB5-A4FB-2CE62FDE386C.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E1B9D92-1601-4471-8F18-BA39AF221AC1.jpeg
    0E1B9D92-1601-4471-8F18-BA39AF221AC1.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 73
I have never dealt with Middlesex village trading company. I have heard many complaints about them and a few not unhappy with them. They sell a double howdah style and a flintlock double in .58 and .62

You asked to see:
Here is my Pedersoli Howdah 20/20 after I removed the brown (Cerakote?), removed the satin varnish and finished the walnut with teak oil followed with Tru-Oil until glossy, and added ivory (imitation) to the grip.
View attachment 62872
View attachment 62868
View attachment 62871

You're killing me Smalls!

I was doing a search on this forum to see if anyone has purchased the flintlock version of the Howdah. I have the percussion version and love it!

I have to go into a private room just to look at your pictures of your pistol.

I was wondering about the browning of the flintlock version. It sounds like it is painted on the barrels like there shotguns.

I thought the browning on my shotgun sucks and tried to re-brown it myself. It sucks just as bad but doesn't look like it was painted on.

Does it use touch hole liners or do they have a touch hole drilled into the side of the barrels.

Yeah, the kit is available, but pricey. I’d like to see your pictures if possible.

Another option is to cut down cheaper left and right handed rifle barrels and solder them together - i don’t know if a rib would be necessary. You’d need to custom build the stock and inlet for the locks, etc. but i think you’d come in well under Pedersoli’s $700 tag.

don
Having a double gun, rifle or shotgun is more than just soldering the barrels together. They should be regulated. This may be less important in a Howdah pistol shooting tigers off of your elephant's back. But it would be nice if both barrels shot to the same point of impact at a specific distance.
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-barrel-regulator

I have owned several Pedersoli's, and built several from kits, such as their 16" barreled "Bounty" pistol. They are very well built, and generally very accurate. Many of them have rifling with 8 or more lands/grooves. Good, appropriate twist rates.
The first one i had was a .45 cal "Kentucky" long rifle. Never mind that the barrel is nowhere near the normal 40+" barrels used on traditional long rifles. Went to sight it in at my 100 yard range, 70 gr FFg, .440 PRB. First shot nicked the upper left edge of the X-ring, 2nd and 3rd made a three-leafed clover, and I decided I wouldn't mess with the sights. And the same turned out to be true of the others I've had.
And the company does try to satisfy their clients: i had a customer who was going to go on a once-in-a-lifetime buffalo hunt, wanted a "Quigley Down Under" type cartridge gun. Called up their USA rep, who gave me the email for the factory customer service, and ordered a blued, barreled action - and they supplied one within 6 weeks. .45-110, if i remember correctly. And the guy did get his buffalo.
I am not a big fan of "factory" ML's, greatly prefer handmade ones such as the ones I myself make. But they do have their place in our sport of muzzle-loading fun machines.

I have never dealt with Middlesex village trading company. I have heard many complaints about them and a few not unhappy with them. They sell a double howdah style and a flintlock double in .58 and .62
Some years ago, i picked up a 20 gauge “howdah” style pistol from Middlesex Village. It was affordable and a handsome looking gun. Gauge was closer to 18 than 20.
it had the worst trigger that I have ever tried to use. It had to have been nearly 30 pounds…..pretty much unshootable.
I have since fixed the locks. It is a handy little gun now, triggers at eight pounds.

Latest posts

Back