• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How where medieval handgonnes realy used?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mason Ponton

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi all! I just recently got one of these bad boys and I'm trying to put a kit together. Like a flask, shot pouch etc. But I can't find a reliable source, as far as giving me the short version of the story if you know what I mean. I guess the deal is some people say they loaded from a cup others say derectly from the flask, which is it? How is the ammo carried? What kind of wadding, if at all? And so on, so anyway if anyone can give me a short answer with a source I would be most grateful.

P.S. I know they used serpentine powder and that it was slow enuff to ignite that they could shoulder the weapon like you see in a lot of period iconography. This guy has a realy good video about it here: https://www.full30.com/watch/MDA5ODAz/the-handgonne-priming-dilemma

Manson:

Do you mean like for reenacting the period? There is a video on that at

As for at the range I use a standard loading measure for the powder and use my possible box to hold all of my equipment needed for the day. I prefer to only light the slow match on the linstock just before firing and will snip the burning end off for safety reasons between shots.

Manson:

Do you mean like for reenacting the period? There is a video on that at

As for at the range I use a standard loading measure for the powder and use my possible box to hold all of my equipment needed for the day. I prefer to only light the slow match on the linstock just before firing and will snip the burning end off for safety reasons between shots.

Hi thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. I do mean for reenactment, I've already fired it at the range alot when I got it, I was super excited! But unfortunately I'm just a little skeptical about that video, just because of the link I posted in my original post, and the historical accuracy of using teabags for wadding :D :(. However I find the kit interesting, but thinking about the powder flask thing, I'm not totally sold on pouring it directly from the flask. Surely they would have discovered how unsafe that was early enough to not continue doing that. I dont know though old habits die hard maybe... Don't get me wrong I'm not particularly stingy about the teabag thing, I'm not saying I need to make wadding from parchment made exactly the way they did at the exact time of day bla bla bla. Im mostly talking about the more permanent stuff like powder horns/cups/measures whatever it happens to be. This guy is a good model of what Im looking for: So I guess not really reenacting but "immersive range play" if you will, like if you dressed up as a union soldier and had paper cartridges for your Sharps or Springfield.

Last edited:
Hello, Mason, Load that gonne with 2f powder and use a patched round ball about .595-.610 caliber. for a blank load , I used 2f with a wadding of crumpled brown paper bag packed down tight., Do not load from a flask! Always load from a measure or prepare paper cartridges. Swab with a damp, not wet bore mop between shots, then a dry patch before loading, Be Safe, George. P.S. A good book for Ideas is Medieval Handgonnes, the first infantry weapons, by Sean McLachlan.

Latest posts

Back