• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How we ordered before the internet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was getting rid of old stuff and came across this invoice from 1975. Notice the prices and how it was done by check through the mail. I wonder if my return credit is still good? haha

old invoice.jpgold invoice 2.jpg

Yea, I have been ordering from Dixie since 1972. Plus buying from The Log cabin since 1966. Prices have gone up since then!

I remember those days. Page through paper catalog, pick out what you want, tear out order form, fill it out, include check or money order, fill out envelope, place check and order form inside envelope, include postage, seal and mail order. Weeks go by. No notice whether order sent or not. Approximately one month later order arrives.

Catalog becomes bathroom reading until new catalog arrives with your order.

I use to send a little extra money in case the price went up a little or my math was off. Not enough money would delay your order as much as a month or more.

Some places also took phone orders with a credit card. If we got our order in a few weeks, we thought that was quick.

If I recall those dozen cheap flints were just that, I was always shooting on a budget back then. I only have them now as I didn't trust them hunting then.

I remember ordering from DGW back in the fifties when he was a one man operation operating from his home garage. Most items were what we would today call poorly made but remember this was the beginning of the muzzleloading revival and everyone was starting from scratch. Yes, I recall the flints in the mid 60’s were horrible but as I remember they were from the quarries in Brandon, England. Half were unusable. First long gun I ever received came in through Railroad Express. All a long time ago….

I still have a 1859 sharps percussion breechblock that came from DGW circa 1965. It is NOS and was shipped in a cloth tobacco pouch complete with drawstring. My first ML came from there as a kit that same year. It was a 28 Spanish back action and cost like $12 shipped REA. All i can remember is it had a patchbox cover shaped like a sea shell. In the early 80's i realized how cheap they were selling original items from the RW, CW, SAW and WWI and bought all i could at the time. One of my better investments.

I remember ordering from DGW back in the fifties when he was a one man operation operating from his home garage. Most items were what we would today call poorly made but remember this was the beginning of the muzzleloading revival and everyone was starting from scratch. Yes, I recall the flints in the mid 60’s were horrible but as I remember they were from the quarries in Brandon, England. Half were unusable. First long gun I ever received came in through Railroad Express. All a long time ago….
I will always remember Russ Hamm and Dean Minton locks. I never owned one that didn't require a LOT of tinkering to get it to work half way decently! And their kits were a nightmare! But there wasn't much else poor, unknown gun builders could afford back then! Remember Dixie's Italian percussion caps? $1 @ 100 - but I very rarely had a problem with them!

Latest posts

Back