• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to ship a BP Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in a few states BP guns require a FFL. NJ,Illinois and NY for a few. Some State laws regulate
who can receive the gun and how it is received. This type of regulation is increasing.
However, if you acquired the gun when it was legal to acquire it, State law usually
does not do any confiscation EXCEPT California-- and the gun controllers there.
What I do not understand is Canada and the insane control freaks up there. You
would think black powder guns are safe there. After all, they are slow to load, require
care in operation. Can be prone to misfire and are comparatively lower powered. In
modern times,only a few people have been killed by them. Yet controllers are bent
upon taking the handguns away.

I made the mistake once by telling the UPS agent it was an antique Firearm in which case all she head was firearm and made a huge scene in the store. I went home and called company rep and he said absolutely can ship any gun made prior to 1898 and their reproductions. He called the agent in question and I returned and shipped with no problem. The agent never said a word to me and I did not embarrass her further.
That changed last year - now ANY handgun, doesn't matter if it's a flintlock pistol, can only be shipped USPS by an FFL. It's not a Federal regulation, it's USPS regulation,

IT is none of their business that it is a BP pistol. They are legal to ship with no restrictions. As long as it is not perfume, spillable or lithium batteries that you have to declare, it can be shipped and none of their business.... same as a pair of tennis shoes or a toy.
Ohio Rusty ><>

USPS Regulations:

432.2 Handguns

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

1. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.
  2. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25.
  3. Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
  4. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
  5. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.
432.21 Authorized Persons

Subject to 432.22, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties, and upon filing the required affidavit or certificate:

1. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
  2. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
  3. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
  4. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
  5. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.
  6. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.
  7. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 432.21c through e.

Good to know powderhombre as I have a UPS acct and can print my shipping at home, then just drop off.
UPS has rules & restrictions regarding shipping firearms that are different than USPS. One of which is ALL handguns must be sent by overnight shipment.

in a few states BP guns require a FFL. NJ,Illinois and NY for a few. Some State laws regulate
who can receive the gun and how it is received. This type of regulation is increasing.
However, if you acquired the gun when it was legal to acquire it, State law usually
does not do any confiscation EXCEPT California-- and the gun controllers there.
What I do not understand is Canada and the insane control freaks up there. You
would think black powder guns are safe there. After all, they are slow to load, require
care in operation. Can be prone to misfire and are comparatively lower powered. In
modern times,only a few people have been killed by them. Yet controllers are bent
upon taking the handguns away.
You don't need an FFl to mail a black powder in NY state. You may need one for NYC. Their gun laws are different than the rest of the state

Section 432.21 is for modern handguns. Also in the listed states, ie: NY, NJ, etc. does the buyer have to fill out a 4473 to receive the BP gun, long gun or pistol ? I'm sure not. The BATF does not require for BP. NJ has the most restrictive gun laws I've ever seen except maybe California. Sad in a state that was part of the initial freedom movement in America.

Can't say what their regulations are in recent years, but Fed Ex is a better choice than is UPS. That is, for actually getting the package to its destination undamaged. And if insured, FedEx actually pays. This was my former employer's experience shipping $$$ very high nickel welding materials.

Section 432.21 is for modern handguns.

AND "antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun" per 431.1 below
431.1 Firearm

The following definitions apply:

1. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include antique firearms (except antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun or of a firearm capable of being concealed on a person).

Last edited:
Any black powde, that loads through the muzzle, is technically not a firearm.
As long as no ammunition is packed in the same package, it’s ok to mail.
Just answer the questions and mail it.

Back