• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to ship a BP Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fnfalguy

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I am about to bang my head into a wall reviewing USPS, UPS & FEDEX rules regarding shipping, so I figured I would ask others how they have shipped BP pistols. I keep getting bounced around from Dangerous Goods to Customer Service back to Dangerous Goods without getting an answer. While I still plan on trying to hammer out how to legally ship the pistols, I was hoping others had actually experience in shipping.

In short, how have you shipped BP pistols and what if any description did you have to use on the packages.
TIA

ETA: if you have managed to explain to customer service what you were trying to ship, what magic words did you use to convey the description of the item. So far I have been failing miserably using antique firearm, black power pistol, and even trying to explain it isnt a firearm in the US Code.

Last edited:
I use USPS flat rate boxes. Don't say a damn thing about what's in the box. Just answer their little anything hazardous, liquid, batteries etc., confirm the ship to address, get your tracking number and leave.

USPS, flat rate or regular priority, insure it. Buy the label online and just drop it off at the P.O. Do not answer any questions except the one about hazardous contents and do not volunteer any info or ask any questions. I have shipped and received revolvers (many) and rifles this way and have never had a problem.

Used the post office's priority mail pre-made box ( both ways ). No problem. Went out disassembled as parts, came back assembled. Using an easily-identified-as-a- gun box is probably not a stellar idea due to thefts during shipment. My delivery driver's a great guy, used to bringing long boxes to my farm. "Got another gun for you."

Showed him the southern mountain rifle he'd brought to me and how it was packed. "You're lucky. Some things get treated pretty rough before we get them."

I have never sent anything whatsoever through the USPS where they asked me what I was sending. Only the usual "liquid, perishable, etc questions. Frankly it's none of their business. If you're buying insurance for the package they do have a place to list the contents if I remember correctly. In that case it's "machine parts"

I have never sent anything whatsoever through the USPS where they asked me what I was sending. Only the usual "liquid, perishable, etc questions. Frankly it's none of their business. If you're buying insurance for the package they do have a place to list the contents if I remember correctly. In that case it's "machine parts"
This is one area I saw a potential problem. It relates to insurance if you purchase that. If you actually have to use it, I’m sure they (shipping company) would fight me on it if it was an item that wasn’t shipped ”correctly”.

This is one area I saw a potential problem. It relates to insurance if you purchase that. If you actually have to use it, I’m sure they (shipping company) would fight me on it if it was an item that wasn’t shipped ”correctly”.
Very true. Cool username too. Been a member of the Falfiles so long I've got a 4 digit member number

Take it to a gunstore that does transfers. They will give you tracking numbers etc when they create the labels.

I made the mistake once by telling the UPS agent it was an antique Firearm in which case all she head was firearm and made a huge scene in the store. I went home and called company rep and he said absolutely can ship any gun made prior to 1898 and their reproductions. He called the agent in question and I returned and shipped with no problem. The agent never said a word to me and I did not embarrass her further.

I always answer their question verbally with "machined parts", and that satisfies their question. I've NEVER had a problem shipping BP pistols or rifles. I always remove the barrels and then wrap each piece (stock and barrel) in a cheap ($5) new towel and put them in a carton. The buyer always gets a couple of new towels and the pieces arrive undamaged from the cushioning. I've shipped a lot of BP rifles and pistols over the years that way. And Powderhombre is correct there are no regulations on replicas or real guns older than 1898. But why open a can of worms by voluntering that it is a firearm at all. I've used USPS, Fed Ex and UPS all three. But the way it is now don't expect UPS to get it delivered to the correct address 100% of the time, unfortunately.

If you take it to an FFL you're probably going to be charged for their services plus the postage and you'll probably going to have to ship it to the buyers FFL which further complicates the issue for you AND the buyer. There is no Form 4473 required by seller or buyer on BP guns so why use an FFL ?

Back