• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to seal powderhorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a nice, small powderhorn today at a yard sale. Very nice shape, but it leaks around the butt plug, which probably shrunk. What is the best way to seal it?
2A42B1D5-EFD5-4071-B10C-432E195301F7.jpeg
5EC4A36D-944E-445E-808D-2E40D7570F10.jpeg

Why not use clear silicone sealer?

If replacing with new, how would you remove the fasteners?

Why not use clear silicone sealer?

If replacing with new, how would you remove the fasteners?
I would replace the wood plug. My thought would be to drill a hole in the center of the plug and whittle the plug from the hole toward the fasteners. Eventually you would reach the fasteners and be able to remove them without damaging the horn at the fastener entry points. Don't try to pull the fasteners out with any kind of tool or pliers.

No to epoxy, a high temperature wax would work, but it's messy.

I would replace the wood plug. My thought would be to drill a hole in the center of the plug and whittle the plug from the hole toward the fasteners. Eventually you would reach the fasteners and be able to remove them without damaging the horn at the fastener entry points. Don't try to pull the fasteners out with any kind of tool or pliers.

No to epoxy, a high temperature wax would work, but it's messy.
Never thought of that. The pins holding the plug are a bit “proud” of the base, so I was not considering trying to remove them, but from the inside might be possible. I just have to be real careful because the horn base is very thin.

Don't tell the wife but I've used her nail clippers to grab small nails and pins to remove them they bite in real well and do no damage well until I get caught and her emery boards make fine sanding easy also

Back