• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

how to remove rust from breech?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idonthaveamusketyet:|

.50 caliber
Reaction score
I didnt clean my flintlock well enough and took a look down the barrel and saw rust at the bottom. I used baking soda, it didnt work. the problem is my metal bore brush can't reach down to the bottom. can anyone help?
16534451193398956109843392238331.jpg

I bought 2 cheapie gun cleaning kits at Walmart. I can screw as many sections together as needed and I use a small caliber bore brush with a strip of patch wrapped around. I can reach all the way down into the breech area. Works good for me to clean up that area.

One of the best ways to clean rust from the bore is to use a bronze brush where the twisted wire is threaded through the shank and not crimped, the crimped type will pull off. Then get a "Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner" pad, unravel and cut about a 12" length of strand from the pad, then twist it around the brush bristles and use like you normally would use the brush. The pad is made of an alloy that will not scratch the bluing like steel wool will, but will remove rust. I have used the pads to remove rust on many different types of firearms and tools for over 30 years and it works, and will not scratch like steel wool. I would not use it on browned metal, but for muzzle loading bores it is perfect.

To clean/scrub the face of the breech plug, I cut a dozen or so 2" lengths of strand from the pad and thread them through the eye of a shotgun cleaning tip which you can get an adapter to fit a standard cleaning rod. Center the strands where you have an equal length on either side of the eye, then fold the ends forward and wrap with several wraps of dental floss, essentially making a scrubbing mop in order to get at the face of the plug.
IMG_20220525_072019_372.jpg

This link to the company's website provides all the details on how to use the pad, and instructions on how to use it wrapped around a cleaning brush for removing rust, lead, and fouling from the bore. "Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner Pad"

Let me tell you ... once you use this product, you won't use ANYTHING else! It is that good!

If you had a barrel or other part with 'rust speckling' on the outside, this takes it off without damaging the blued or other finish. Refinished with 'touch up' blue and you'd have to look hard to see any previous rust defects! FYI, it a proprietary blend of metals alloys like stainless and monel, that are harder than rust/iron oxides, but also annealed to be softer than gun steels.

One of the best ways to clean rust from the bore is to use a bronze brush where the twisted wire is threaded through the shank and not crimped, the crimped type will pull off. Then get a "Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner" pad, unravel and cut about a 12" length of strand from the pad, then twist it around the brush bristles and use like you normally would use the brush. The pad is made of an alloy that will not scratch the bluing like steel wool will, but will remove rust. I have used the pads to remove rust on many different types of firearms and tools for over 30 years and it works, and will not scratch like steel wool. I would not use it on browned metal, but for muzzle loading bores it is perfect.

To clean/scrub the face of the breech plug, I cut a dozen or so 2" lengths of strand from the pad and thread them through the eye of a shotgun cleaning tip which you can get an adapter to fit a standard cleaning rod. Center the strands where you have an equal length on either side of the eye, then fold the ends forward and wrap with several wraps of dental floss, essentially making a scrubbing mop in order to get at the face of the plug.
View attachment 141301

This link to the company's website provides all the details on how to use the pad, and instructions on how to use it wrapped around a cleaning brush for removing rust, lead, and fouling from the bore. "Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner Pad"
I wrapped a small amount of steel wool around a bore brush with baking soda down the bore. it worked pretty well.
16535265711386288776673860738289.jpg

I bought 2 cheapie gun cleaning kits at Walmart. I can screw as many sections together as needed and I use a small caliber bore brush with a strip of patch wrapped around. I can reach all the way down into the breech area. Works good for me to clean up that area.
I wrapped a small amount of steel wool around a bore brush with baking soda down the bore. it worked pretty well.

Attachments

• 16535266862461640220329512200125.jpg
    16535266862461640220329512200125.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 5
since this thread a guy brought me his flinter with the same problem but he couldnt get the breach plug out,,,i pluged the touch hole stood it on end and filled it with screw loose and pb blaster,,every day for a week or so,,put it in the vise and knocked the plug loose than took a bunch of cleaning rods with a brass brush in an electric drill..cleaned up nice,bore buttered it anti seized the plug and gave it back,,hes out this week in pa havin at it,,,

I wrapped a small amount of steel wool around a bore brush with baking soda down the bore. it worked pretty well.View attachment 141401
Very nice. I use steel sponge instead of steel wool to avoid having all the little particles left to clean up that the wool leaves. You can grab a bag of steel sponge from your local dollar store.

I didnt clean my flintlock well enough and took a look down the barrel and saw rust at the bottom. I used baking soda, it didnt work. the problem is my metal bore brush can't reach down to the bottom. can anyone help?View attachment 141280
Maybe I’m wrong, but that looks like a patent breech. Get a 22 cal. Brush, wrap patch and solvent on it and see if it goes into the small hole in the center of the breech plug. Youl’ll know if when you withdraw it, the patch will be compressed into the brush and it’ll be dark with crud. To clean the face, I use a jag with red scrubbing pad and PB blaster or equivalent. I’ve also taken a wire brush large enough for the bore and trimmed off the wires on the nose so the entire barrel and breech can be worked on all at once. Good luck!

Do not remove the breech plug from a Traditions or CVA gun. Attempting it without PHD level of experience and tooling will destroy your gun.

Back