• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to remove pressed nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As before, where is the OP?

I have a feeling this is one of the greatest trolls of the boards' life time.
I know what your trying to say but I wouldn't call him a troll.
As far as him being here, he was on the forum last Monday at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon (Phoenix time).

Sorry for not getting back sooner it’s hay season been busy trying to get straw and hay bailed in between the rain.NO IM NOT A TROLL. SO anyway I went and drilled them out and there was absolutely no sign of threads anywhere.This is not my gun I was just trying to help out a friend Ive never seen nipples without being threaded so I don’t know if this was a wall hanger and someone modified the nipples.

Am I the only one that can say, "I've never heard of a "pressed" threadless nipple" being used on a percussion muzzle loader.
Sounds like something that could be dangerous to shoot.

I will say, percussion nipples are usually hardened so before attempting to drill it, I would use a file to see if it was hardened. If it was hard, after checking to make sure the barrel was unloaded I would heat the nipple to a bright cherry red and then slowly reduce the heat so the nipple would cool off very slowly.
That would anneal the steel making it much easier to drill.
Hi,Zonie the nipples were not hardened i crushed them with pliers and drilled them with no resistance.

Warn your friend to proof the barrels before using this gun. You might be correct about this being a all hanger.

Sorry for not getting back sooner it’s hay season been busy trying to get straw and hay bailed in between the rain.NO IM NOT A TROLL. SO anyway I went and drilled them out and there was absolutely no sign of threads anywhere.This is not my gun I was just trying to help out a friend Ive never seen nipples without being threaded so I don’t know if this was a wall hanger and someone modified the nipples.
Any chance you have any photographs? Would be interesting to see.

I will ask my friend to send me pictures,I think someone ripped the old nipples out and rammed these nipples in,the barrels were packed with wood and cloth I’m guessing so it couldn’t be fired.That is why I asked for advice I never herd of nipples being pressed in but I’m know expert.

I’m glad you mentioned that because they did look like grease fittings. Like I mentioned its not my gun my friend just asked if i could get them out for him and I’m not familiar with shotguns so I wasn’t sure if there was such a thing as press fit nipples.

Back