• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to remove pressed nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,I’m looking for guidance on how to remove (non threaded nipples ) in an 1800”s London 12 gauge. Should I just drill them out and tap the holes to except threaded nipples. Or is there a method to remove the original ones.

I have never worked on "pressed"nipples. But drilling them out and taping the hole is the way I would go. The main thing I would worry about is drilling them out large enough that you remove all of the pressed nipple. Leaving a thin "sleeve" could possibly weaken the threaded nipple seat.

Am I the only one that can say, "I've never heard of a "pressed" threadless nipple" being used on a percussion muzzle loader.
Sounds like something that could be dangerous to shoot.

I will say, percussion nipples are usually hardened so before attempting to drill it, I would use a file to see if it was hardened. If it was hard, after checking to make sure the barrel was unloaded I would heat the nipple to a bright cherry red and then slowly reduce the heat so the nipple would cool off very slowly.
That would anneal the steel making it much easier to drill.

Am I the only one that can say, "I've never heard of a "pressed" threadless nipple" being used on a percussion muzzle loader.

No, you are not. I was going to post asking for a photo but didn't want to be taken as naive. I also thought about adding that they sounded like they would be self-removing.

"Am I the only one that can say, "I've never heard of a "pressed" threadless nipple" being used on a percussion muzzle loader.
Sounds like something that could be dangerous to shoot"

I cannot say that I have ever heard of nor read about pressed thread less nipples either.

When I first read this, I was wondering what technology existed in the 1800s to allow the pressing of thread less nipples into a barrel. What was the driving force/mechanism to create that kind of pressure? Since there was no electricity to do it, it could only have been powered by hydraulics. and the only hydraulics at that time would have been water.

More so, what kind of pressure (psig) would be required to keep them in place with the discharging of the shotgun?. Along with that, why was the barrel not crushed during the pressing in of the thread less nipples since shotgun barrels are very thin compared to an octagon barrel of 1" or greater in diameter.

Will be interesting to see what comes up.

Hi,I’m looking for guidance on how to remove (non threaded nipples ) in an 1800”s London 12 gauge. Should I just drill them out and tap the holes to except threaded nipples. Or is there a method to remove the original ones.
Wait for Feltwad to chime in. He will no doubt give you the definitive answer, but I’ve never heard of such a thing

If there was ever a post that needed pictures of the subject matter, this is it.

Where is Thunder14?

I would start with a good penetrating oil, inside and out. After a day or so, and cleaning up, apply some heat. Then, as suggested above, try to unscrew the nipples. Just a WAG, but I would suspect the nipples are rust welded, rather than pressed. Close up pictures of the nipples would be a big help.

Applying a little math.... for discussion let’s assume a 1/4” diameter surface at the base of nipple is exposed to chamber pressure of let’s say 8,000 psi. That would mean there is a force of 393 pounds pushing out on the base of the nipple every time the gun is fired. Would require one heck of a press fit to stay place...... not saying it’s impossible, have just never seen or heard of a press fit nipple. Need to see some detailed photographs. Maybe we all would learn something, though I’d put my money on it not being a press fit nipple.

I really like folks who can do math, wish I could.

Looking at things realistically, if you can press them in, how do you get them out when they are flattened and a cap will not seat or they are blown out and the hammer is rebounding.

"There is no such animal .End of story finish . Rudyard", Mr. Rudyard is the official opera singer and he has sung.

I really like folks who can do math, wish I could.

Looking at things realistically, if you can press them in, how do you get them out when they are flattened and a cap will not seat or they are blown out and the hammer is rebounding.

"There is no such animal .End of story finish . Rudyard", Mr. Rudyard is the official opera singer and he has sung.
Would seem that way, but let’s see if the OP can post a couple of pictures, you know, a picture is worth a ...... Doesn’t make them a troll because they believe they have a pressed in nipple.

If a frog had wings, he would not bump his rear end when he hopped either.

Back