• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to reduce the shine on stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently finished applying several coats of tru-oil to my maple stock. It is a bit too shinny for my likens. Is there a way to reduce the shine?

I recently finished applying several coats of tru-oil to my maple stock. It is a bit too shinny for my likens. Is there a way to reduce the shine?
I know what you mean, cuz True Oil can get that way. If your final coat is completely dry........ Take a cotton cloth (I like old white Tee shirts) wetted with a small amount of turpentine, rub out sections at a time. Don't over soak, but use the rag damp with elbow grease. Look at your results, and if it is still has too much sheen, go over again. It needs to dry to the touch to really see a result. If that don't work, you should be able to let dry and try something else that is compatible with True Oil
Hope that helps
Flintlocklar

... and that’s why I no longer use it ...

But when I did, I used rotten stone & burlap to dull the shine, in it’s own slurry.

Nowadays I use Arm-R-Seal wiping varnish to build up the MANY gloss coats that create the warmth, depth and chatoyance inherent in the wood. Then for the final few coats I switch to the same brand product, but in their semi-gloss. While I have it on hand, I will rarely ever use flat/satin finish.

You could try raw burlap with a 1/3rd mix max, where your stock is already finished .

Unbuffed wax should work. Probably best to build a few layers, maybe a buffed out layer or two, then a thin layer allowed to dry for a day or more untouched.

For a totally non traditional fix. Testors brand "dull coat" spray. It's unbelievable how much shine/reflection this stuff knocks down. I use it on my fiberglass longbow and recurve limbs when hunting, no reflection. 15519854573741641589586296414633.jpg 15519855137878247180801164141985.jpg

I've used Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner along with a fairly rough piece of cloth to remove the gloss on a Tru-Oil finish.

It can dull a very glossy coat to a soft sheen or polish a dull look to a rather glossy look.

The end results all depends on how you use it.

To dull a glossy surface keep the rag damp with the product and don't rub it with too much pressure. Also, don't dwell in one place while your rubbing.

To gloss up a dull surface, use a lot of pressure and allow the rag to become somewhat dry while rubbing in one location. When the area becomes glossy, apply some more of the Stock Sheen and move on to another area.

ditto on the 0000 steel wool. just removed the shine off a refinished shotgun with it and it works great, just go lightly.
this was on the stock finished with teak oil that had been dried for 6 months

just another thought.shine mean reflection. now if you were to polish that shine it goes away also, by this it gets so smooth and clear that it doesnt reflect any more. i have polished stocks way beyond browning rifle shine. the true oil shine goes away and the surface is so smooth that it becomes invisable and all you see is the grain. what to use to do this. a cotton flannel cloth, huts plastic polish and hours stitting watching tv while you rub your stock out. do not machine polish that can burn. if you want to dull you stock do this. rub it out with huts to a invisable gloss. then with a clean cotton flannel cloth rub into that cloth pumice stone powder. wood workers or dental, both are available on the internet. again polishs with HUTS, then cut back the carity with pumice powder and mineral oil. you will get what you want and you will really really like it. my french family has been custom furniture makers for 100/s of years, its in my blood. of course their are other ways that are good also, im just giving one easy good way pros use on furniture and even gun stocks. the grain of the wood should be seen and not the shine.

Use a finish that doesn't yield a shine. The LR shown has 2 coats each of 2 different finishes and actually requires a rub w/ a fluffy towel to produce some sheen. ....Fred
P1010004.JPG

I use rottenstone mixed with water and rub lightly using a felt pad or soft cloth until I get the sheen that I like. Sometimes I like a gloss finish so I leave it alone. You have to be very careful when rubbing with any grade of steel wool as it cuts the Tru-Oil finish FAST. I only use rottenstone as it is very fine - the pumice that I have is too coarse and cuts WAY TOO FAST so I don't use it.

I have never had problems with steel wool leaving anything behind. I must lead a blessed life. I'd use rotten stone in BLO, then make sure to wipe ALL the BLO off. Best solution is not to put on a shiny finish I the first place.

I agree, will not do that again. I did use steel wool to knock of the shine then applied a light coat of Danish oil and wiped it off immediately, It actually worked pretty darn good, I can live with it now, thanks to all who chimed in.

I've also never had a issue with steel wool leaving particles behind -- I guess we are the only two that know how to use the stuff:D!

Back