How to put a spout on a horn

Discussion in 'The Craftsman' started by Sparkitoff, Nov 26, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 26, 2019 #1

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

40 Cal.

I have a nice scrimshawed horn. It has a wooden plug on the pointy end. How do I install a measure on that end instead? Ideally I would like a measure with a valve like is common on brass or copper flasks, so I can dispense a known amount of powder. If not possible, at least a spout that can open and close. Thanks

2. Nov 26, 2019 #2

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

Personally, I like this one from Track of the Wolf.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/81/1/HVP

It has the spout to pour the powder into a measure. I just don't like pouring from a measure attached to a horn directly into a barrel.

Muzzleloader Builder's Supply has one that can be attached to a can 32390 or bushed onto the horn and a measure is placed on the end and then poured in the barrel. You do have to make an adjustment for the space taken up by the nipple on the shout
    http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=5823737.7772&product=Measures&Cappers

Then there is the valve offered by Jedediah Starr Trading Company. You can put most any measure inside the mouth of the valved spout to take the powder from the hon to the barrel. I don't have this one but I may have to get one.
    https://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?searchWord=valve&pid=806&offset=0

Measures.jpg

My version of the Muzzle Loader Builder's Supply is on the left with the mated measure.

My horn has the Track spout and I use a separate measure to take the powder to the barrel.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  3. Nov 26, 2019 #3

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

Sparkitoff,

Very important things to consider are:

Is there enough thickness of horn to drill it for some spouts to go into the horn and the horn too thin afterwards where it would easily crack there? If so, don't forget to at least slightly roughen the horn and part of the spout that goes into the horn so the epoxy will stick well, if you are going to use glue.

If not, is there enough diameter of the horn to add even a small flask head?

There were spouts on Artillery horns in the 18th century that had brass cones applied over the ends of the horns with a spring loaded shut off, but I'm not sure if anyone is making a "ready made" copy of that sort of thing.

A word of caution: Most of the original horns that had flask heads or other spouts were planned ahead and made for the spout, you may not be able to do that with a horn that has already been made, unless you make some kind of custom made head/spout.

Gus

4. Nov 26, 2019 #4

L Rupp

L Rupp

L Rupp

32 Cal MLF Supporter

Can you post a picture of the horn ( easy for some,not so for others) so we can see what you have to work with ?

5. Nov 27, 2019 #5

bang

bang

bang

45 Cal.

I have a valve in mine but considering I pour the powder in a measure to put the load in the barrel kind of makes a valve an unnecessary item. It looks good but I'm sure after a while I'll be corkin it.

6. Nov 27, 2019 #6

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

40 Cal.

Here’s what I have....

Attached Files:

7. Nov 27, 2019 #7

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

40 Cal.

This is the plug....

Attached Files:

8. Nov 27, 2019 #8

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

You have the room for a brass bushing. I would recommend the Jedidiah Starr External valve. You will probably have enough thickness of your horn to reduce to the diameter of the valve.

Its a Treso brand valve so other dealers should carry it.

9. Nov 27, 2019 #9

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

40 Cal.