• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HOW TO POST PICTURES ON THE FORUM.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am writing this to help people wanting to post pictures in their posts or classified ad's.

You can load up to 10 pictures but the total file size of them all can not exceed 4096 KB.

There are several ways to post pictures. The old way on the forum still works and this is how you would do it.

1. Join and upload your picture on a Photo Hosting web site like Flickr, Google Photo, Imgur...
After your picture is on their site find out how to share the picture. It's different on different sites. Find the method that uses a BBCode and copy that address by using your "COPY" function.

Come back to the post on the MLF and "PASTE" the pictures address into your post.

2. An easier way to post your picture is, look down below the typing area in your new post.
Poke the blue button that says, "Upload a File".
This will bring up a small window which shows the things stored in your computer or on your smart phone. If it doesn't, navigate around in the computer files until you find the picture.
Select it and then poke the "OPEN" button. That should upload your picture to the MLF.
Choose whether you want a "Thumbnail" of the picture or, "Full Size". Select the option you want right after loading your picture.
If you choose Thumbnail, a small picture showing your photo will appear and people can click on it while they read your post to open a full size image.

3. An even easier method for posting a picture is to open a picture in your computer or smart phone and then "COPY" it.
Come back to your post in the MLF and "PASTE" it into your post in the place you want it to appear. Again, the forums computer will give you the option of showing a Thumbnail or Full Size. Select this option right after loading your picture.

Here are a couple of links about posting pictures on the forum. Reading them might answer questions I didn't cover or explain it better than I did here.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/angie-posting-pictures-from-iphones.111273/#post-1512354

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/loading-photos.112372/#post-1529968

PHOTO FILE SIZE TOO LARGE?

I've noticed that some of you have picture files that are so large you can only post one or two pictures before you exceed the file limit set on pictures posted on the forum.
As I said above, the maximum file size for a post is 4096 KB. That is 4.09 MB (Megabite) and some modern cameras can use that much or more data just to make one picture.
This means that just one picture can have a file size that is larger than the forum's software can accept.

The answer to this is to reduce the picture file size by reducing the overall size of the picture.

Most of the modern digital cameras make very large pictures with huge amounts of data for each one of them. For instance I have a picture of a part of my Royal Enfield motorcycle that is 5152 pixels wide and it uses up 4.41 million bites of data.
If you have a program like Photoshop or one of the other photo editing programs it will have a method of reducing your pictures physical size. Reduce the picture down to about 1000 pixels wide and that will do the trick.

If you don't have a picture editing program and your running Windows you can use PAINT to do the same thing.

By using "Paint 3D" (or Paint) in my Windows 10 I reduced the picture size down from over 5150 pixels wide to 1000 pixels wide (A 1000 pixel picture will almost fill the screen on the forum). Reducing the picture size changed the amount of data the file needs from 4.42 million bits down to 171 thousand bits.

If your running Windows 10 or one of the earlier Windows with Paint you can reduce your pictures size and file size like I just did. Here's how.

*Go to the Start menu. (The button with the Windows flag).

*Select "Paint".

*Once opened, select MENU

*Select "BROWSE FILES" Then find your folder and picture you want to change. Open it.

*After the picture opens, select the three dots in the upper right hand area of the Paint address bar for "More Options".

*Select "CANVAS OPTIONS"

*Find the picture size area and check the "RESIZE IMAGE WITH CANVAS" box. (This is very important. If you forget to check the box, the computer will crop off everything outside the new picture size, so be sure to put a check mark in the box.)

*Change width to 1000 (or whatever size you want to end up with) and hit the ENTER button on the keyboard.

*Select the MENU button at the top of the screen and select "SAVE AS".

*Choose "IMAGE" and add something to change the picture name. I add "WEB" to it so I can find it easily. Be sure to verify where it will save the picture. I had to change it from Photos to the file name where my other motorcycle pictures are filed.

I'm sure laptops running Android also have a method of changing the size of a picture but I don't own one so I can't help you with one of them.

Also, if your running a smart phone, your on your own because I don't know how to run one of them either.

(You might want to print these instructions out. They might come in handy in the future.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back