• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to make your precussion touch off every shot with out fail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am definitely not anal, nor do I think those who appreciate writing on at least a 3rd grade level are anal. Nor am I from Canada. I learned grammar in GA in the third grade and fourth, and see no advantage to seem semi-literate, no matter how useful or not the posts are.

Accusing someone of being anal isn't fair play.

I found another use for the "Ignore" button.

old crow thanks for that. what i like about you guys is to someone like me who is learning french, your french is much more easier to understand than the french from france. it is slower and more seperated. some day i will visit your neck of the woods and enjoy listening to the french and trying mine out. thanks for your reply.

BHB
I know we are not suppose to talk inlines here but we are talking BP ignition here right? Thompson Center designers put 2 vent holes, in the Scout series of rifles and pistols, at an angle, away from the face of the shooter, from the breech plug to do what? Equalize pressure and get a more consistent burn according to them. My 2 cents worth.
DL
Inlines need all the help they can get...and are really modern guns, don't use black powder, caps, or flints.

I have to admit, back in the day I read the Dixie catalog, and vented the bolster on my replica 1863 Remington Contract Rifle. I'm not sure why, but did the same thing to my 1861, which I got not too many years ago, I'm not really sure why I did the 1861. However, it hasn't hurt anything...but I think that was the last rifle I'd do that to. On both these rifles, the vent points forward, and up. I sure would not vent a gun if the vent pointed out to the left, the right, or was actually drilled in the barrel. The snail type bolster on my Plain's Pistol certainly presents no intelligent place to drill a vent.

However, what I have noticed is that perhaps it allows some crud to blow out the vent hole, instead of back up the nipple, which can clog it. I may be wrong, but it seems, seems, that the nipple stays cleaner/clear more with the vented rifles, than my one other non vented percussion rifle. ?? So, that might be the real benefit. ?? Just a thought.

The other thing I've noticed is that I can get a slightly hotter load with a vented breech, without the hammer coming back to half cock. I don't mean insanely hotter loads, just that some guns will do that when approaching a good "healthy" load.

Having said that, I've since discovered that using a nipple with a better design will also cure the half-cock blow-back, unless the problem is a weak mainspring.

All things considered, if the rifle(s) is/are properly cleaned and loaded, both my vented and un-vented riles (two vented, one not) are equally reliable. ??

. remember early on i first saw this years ago on a very very little use silver mounted 1/2 stock 50 cal from the 1840/s the hole was where i said it was in the back of the combustion chamber and platium lined. that is a fact, pyrodex wasnt invented then, it was real black all the way. then i read in the dixie catalog

You are making so many assumptions based on a simple observation. Without research and documentation, you have no Idea what the hole in gun you saw was intended for, It could have simply been a modified flintlock conversion, or a pressure testing firearm. You/ we have no way of knowing from your description.

You are also dead wrong when you said? "it was real black all the way".

Intense experimentation took place during the 19th century with regard to propellants and formulations, in fact the first smokeless powder was invented around 1840. there were also formulations that closely resembled Pyrodex.

The simple fact that this "second hole" was not standardized and adopted to all muzzleloaders should tell us all we really need to know.

[QUOTE="Gene L, Never had a missfire with a flint gun either, but I haven't had the extent of firing them as I've had with a cap.[/QUOTE]

What do you call a misfire? You mean you have never had a flash in the pan, or dropping the cock and no boom?

I had a fail to fire, (no flash) only one time with my Brown Bess. There was about 100 people watching, and I was opening the ceremonies, so to speak, of an Appleseed shoot, by shooting a red-coat target with the Bess. What are the chances? I slapped the pan shut, pulled the cock back, jerked that trigger again and she went boom. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

BHB
on another post you were going to get your wife to take some pictures of your CVA Colonial pistol that you just built. You said I would like it. My email address is [email protected]
Please send me the pictures and I will post them for the guys to see.
Desperate Lee

man the post im making assumtions . ive never got my dander up untill you posted that reply. first of al im a retired regisered nure with almost 6 years of college. the first class i had in nursing is they wrote the assumption on the black board and they said to us, never ever assume anything. it will get you in jail or kill a patient. i never ever assumed anything since then and they are right. for you to assume that it was a flinter converted is a rabbit hole you guy like to go down to go from the truth. the gun was a high end gun and never was a flinter. the hole was up one one right side of a octegon barrel, it wasnt where a flash hole would be. who are you, what agenda do you have. i never ever assume anything, i tell it like it is. it was a real gun and if you think hawkens are good, this gun was way above a hawken. it was the creme de le creme if you can figure that out of side locks. it has a platanim lined flash on the right side in back of the chamber above where the flash hole would be on a flinter.

[QUOTE="Gene L, Never had a missfire with a flint gun either, but I haven't had the extent of firing them as I've had with a cap.

What do you call a misfire? You mean you have never had a flash in the pan, or dropping the cock and no boom?[/QUOTE]

My experience with flints is very limited, but so far, all has been fine. I may have had one or two I've forgotten, but truth is, I don't shoot that much.

[QUOTE="Gene L, post I may have had one or two I've forgotten, but truth is, I don't shoot that much.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering because I have gone to weekend shoots with no misfires but most of the time I have a few. You should shoot your flint more, sounds like you are getting the hang of it.

Last edited:
man the post im making assumtions . ive never got my dander up untill you posted that reply. first of al im a retired regisered nure with almost 6 years of college. the first class i had in nursing is they wrote the assumption on the black board and they said to us, never ever assume anything. it will get you in jail or kill a patient. i never ever assumed anything since then and they are right. for you to assume that it was a flinter converted is a rabbit hole you guy like to go down to go from the truth. the gun was a high end gun and never was a flinter. the hole was up one one right side of a octegon barrel, it wasnt where a flash hole would be. who are you, what agenda do you have. i never ever assume anything, i tell it like it is. it was a real gun and if you think hawkens are good, this gun was way above a hawken. it was the creme de le creme if you can figure that out of side locks. it has a platanim lined flash on the right side in back of the chamber above where the flash hole would be on a flinter.

All this drama needs a rim shot.

doublebarrelmuzzleloader-1.jpg

c104ae22-2f7e-4cc6-88a7-b3359eb89936.jpg

Above are two early European percussion guns. What you see for lack of a better tern are "Blowout Plugs". The theory was the plug would blow before the the breech of the barrel failed. Sometimes the plug was used where the "Patent Breech" was drilled. Like the top English Double. Other times it could be down the barrel like this French Double. Eventually this theory was abandoned.

All this drama needs a rim shot.

doublebarrelmuzzleloader-1.jpg

c104ae22-2f7e-4cc6-88a7-b3359eb89936.jpg

Above are two early European percussion guns. What you see for lack of a better tern are "Blowout Plugs". The theory was the plug would blow before the the breech of the barrel failed. Sometimes the plug was used where the "Patent Breech" was drilled. Like the top English Double. Other times it could be down the barrel like this French Double. Eventually this theory was abandoned.
didnt Thompson Center have a rifle with some sort of vent in the breech? Scout? Dunno why they didn’t pursue it.

Yes. That's what I said earlier. The Scout series was a fine weapon. It had 2 vent holes angled away from the shooters face. They claimed it keep equalized pressure from shot to shot. And YES they used real black powder, I use SWISS in mine, and real caps, I use Remington #11's in mine, and have never had a failed ignition.
DL

didnt Thompson Center have a rifle with some sort of vent in the breech? Scout? Dunno why they didn’t pursue it.

The TC Scout is quite different, i own 3 of them. They have 2 Vent holes in the Nipple Setup for “Blowback”, And in the Barrel, also 2 holes in the Frame, the 2 Holes in the Frame are angled forward and Away from the Shooter for Escaping “Blowback” to exit away from the Shooter. The Actual Breech Plug/Powder Chamber that is attached to the Barrel is really Small in the Scouts. They are inline ignition, when you cock the Hammer on an empty Barrel you can look through the Nipple and See Daylight

Here is a picture of a New, and Old Style TC Scout Nipple setup, In the very beginning they did not have the 2 Vent holes for escaping “Blowback”
ltfTAbWl.jpg

ebdD2ppl.jpg

bbrL3fjl.jpg

One member reported Idaholewis's post just above because it is talking about in-lines.

After thinking about it a bit I decided to leave it.

Idaholewis is just explaining what the vents are for and showing photos of the design to clarify what he was talking about. The vents are not drilled directly into the bore of the barrel. They are there to vent any excess powder gas that finds its way into the area around the nipple safely.
This is totally different than drilling a hole directly into the high pressure area inside the barrel.

Although I guess he was talking about an in-line rifle I don't really think that is the same as actually getting into a deep discussion about the pros and cons of in-line rifles.
The rule against talking about modern in-line rifles on the forum was initiated to prevent verbal warfare between traditional rifle shooters and the people who like the modern guns that so many here hate.

One member reported Idaholewis's post just above because it is talking about in-lines.

After thinking about it a bit I decided to leave it.

Idaholewis is just explaining what the vents are for and showing photos of the design to clarify what he was talking about. The vents are not drilled directly into the bore of the barrel. They are there to vent any excess powder gas that finds its way into the area around the nipple safely.
This is totally different than drilling a hole directly into the high pressure area inside the barrel

Thank you Zonie, what you state here was my Exact intention, Since The Scout was mentioned above about “Vent” holes, and i am very familiar with them, i was showing that it’s Totally Different than Boring a Hole in the Powder Chamber of a Breech Plug

Well, BHB, I always like a guy who tells us what he thinks straight up EVEN IF I DON'T AGREE WITH HIM. I don't need re-enforcement from people who agree with me. I need to be open to information from all sides. One of the problems getting worse in our country is the current lack of interest in conversing with people we don't agree with. That's why I Stuck my nose in when that guy tried to shoot you down over your writing style.

Back