• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to make Teflon shooting patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankfannin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Have any of you guys made your own teflon patches? I know you can buy them and know where, but I'd like to be able to make my own. What type of teflon is used, how to apply it, where to get the teflon etc. is what I'm looking for.

Many thanks

Greyhawk

Interesting question. I have used Teflon patching made by Webb Terry. It is good stuff. And, I once thought about going on the quest you are now on. Do some Googling, there is much available out there. Be warned, price of the stuff ain't so slick. :shocked2:

Many years ago I worked as summer help in an ALCOA plant making teflon pots and pans. The Teflon was water soluble and was sprayed on the metal then baked in an oven to make it cure. I don't know if that is the same stuff that is available today.

The Teflon (PTFE) applied to pots and pans requires a very high curing temperature that would destroy cloth materials. (over 800 degrees F)

DuPont has developed a form of Teflon that cures at a much lower temperature and can be applied to material that can take a 310 degree F cure.

If you have Adobe, you can open this link and read about it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rc...=1800GVaFL7PaNxl2n6MfPw&bvm=bv.70138588,d.aWw

Last edited by a moderator:
I used teflon patches for a bit when I first heard about them to shoot a couple of matches our club put on but found between strings of shots I had better luck and easier loading the last couple of balls in the string just using good ole greezy patches. Fouling was much softer to clean and the last couple balls of the sting didn't require pounding down the bore to seat them when using greezed patches. Myself I gave up on the teflon. It is sure lots less mess to use but just couldn't get off the number of shots before I had to clean the way I can with lubed patches.

blackelm said:
When shooters are using Teflon patches, do they clean between shots?

In short, does Teflon build up in the barrel?

From what I've read you have to wipe between shots when using a Teflon patch.

I'm thinking maybe they are not "traditional"? I shall stick with what works and/or the Dutch system. Now that they opened my forests to proper usage with the monsoons I will continue to use Dutch system on a few of my rifles. If Teflon worked really well I'm sure I'd a heard of it before this thread started (and I had not?).

The crud left in the barrel after each firing is left there after the patched ball is long gone. No matter what patching or lubrication you use, the crud will be left there and unless you want it to bake on in progressive layers you should attempt to remove it while it is still soft.

I have heard that the long time source of teflon patches has discontinued production. I don't know if that is true or not or if someone else has picked up the production.
If teflon patches work for you, stick with them. For me they would be way too slick and you can't adjust the slickness of teflon.

Dutch

If Teflon worked really well I'm sure I'd a heard of it before this thread started (and I had not?).

Teflon does work really well. Sorry you have been left out of the loop. As far as I know the idea was originated by Webb Terry in the early 1970s. I used to shoot with him and others at the Friendship range almost every weekend. Webb was one of the top bench shooters of his day, if not the top. He was an inventor and originator. The teflon coated ticking idea was his and I watched him test for many hours using his patching. He later sold the pre-lubed patching commercially. It did help him, and others using it, to destroy many Xs for years. I never experienced coating or crudding problems using it and never heard of this happening for others. It is a high temp resistant material and, in my non-scientific opinion, it cannot cause a problem in the bore.

It certainly seems to be the patch of choice for national level competitors.

The Teflon patching is still being advertised in Muzzleblasts.

blackelm said:
It certainly seems to be the patch of choice for national level competitors.

The Teflon patching is still being advertised in Muzzleblasts.

The stuff is really slickery. But, ironically, when Webb was testing it he chronographed using the teflon lube he found velocities were lower than with other more traditional lubes. He never figured out why but the results were all he was really interested in. Webb really enjoyed destroying Xs. :wink:

Interesting to note that I tested a different product called Frog Lube which was alleged to provide a marked increase in lubricity over other products. When used as a lubricant on modern weapons, I found it to make the operations much smoother which seemed to support their claim of increased lubricity. I wanted to see what it would do to the performance of my muzzleloading rifles when used as a patch lubricant. My finding was that the increased lubricity resulted in lower muzzle velocities when compared to spit as a patch lubricant. I compared it to spit simply because my rifle seemed to be at its most accurate when I used spit as a patch lubricant. When spit was used, my MV was 1266 fps averaged over 10 shots with a std. dev. of 32 fps. I used my chronograph to measure the muzzle velocities. The Frog Lube, with its greater lubricity gave me an average MV of 1179 fps with a std. dev.of 51 fps. My assumption is that the slicker Frog Lube allows the ball to start moving sooner and that results in a lower breach pressure. The lower breach pressure results in a lower MV. Because the ball starts to move sooner, there is less consistency in the resultant breach pressure which accounts for the greater std. dev. in the MV when using Frog Lube. My conclusion is that the results of this test support what Dutch Schoultz says about how patch lubes can be too slick. Frog Lube is great stuff and does all the things that the manufacturer says it does but it is too slick to be a good patch lube for muzzleloaders.

Well, Dutch, it seems that you're right again. :hatsoff:

Good luck finding the formula to spray on the Ticking? I was told it was called green Teflon but no help finding what it was, other than the last few makers died of cancer.

Yep I used yards of the 15 thousands patching in light bench, buffalo and heavy bench targets in the 90's and early 2000's.

Bought all from ads n ML magazine and stored yard of it in my deep freeze.

Now I use bear or raccoon oil and bees wax in my fliterers

Did L&C,D Boon, G Washington, D Crocket, K Carson use this stuff? I think not. Why don't you just get an inline?

Back