• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how to find center

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
looking for the center of my round barrel for the sight location and cant remember how I did that. I know its on the forums somewhere and I cant find that.... so could someone please show me that trick again.
oldness is not good.
thanks tom

Make a simple one like this.
FFE70191-F695-4322-9F83-C32F1C85DD41.jpeg

You guys are going to laugh for days when I tell you how I did it. I went to the hardware store and bought a carpenter's chalk snap line. Hooked the loose end on the muzzle, stretched the string back to the breech, eyeballed center on the top flat, gave the line a snap, and I had my line.

Its easy, put the breech plug in. Lay the barrel on a flat surface with the tang down (I use my table saw table) Place a three corner file under the barrel were you want to locate the sight. Drag barrel across file while keeping the tang in contact with flat surface.This will give you a perfect line indexed to the center of the breech plug tang. I hope this makes sense, quicker to do than to type all this out.

Last edited:
Good idea! I like a drill press with a small drill, line it up on the center of the muzzle and mark the muzzle crown. Then transfer it back with a straight-edge.

Its easy, put the breech plug in. Lay the barrel on a flat surface with the tang down (I use my table saw table) Place a three corner file under the barrel were you want to locate the sight. Drag barrel across file while keeping the tang in contact with flat surface.This will give you a perfect line indexed to the center of the breech plug tang. I hope this makes sense, quicker to do than to type all this out.

That’s it!!!!
Thanks you just kickstarted my brain cells
Thanks
Tom

If the rear sight is in and you have a drill press then set the drill vice jaws so the barrel will sit on top of them then set the drill halfway between the jaws.
Then sit the barrel on top. use a spirit level to get the back sight level and voila the drill is perpendicular to the back sight and as the barrel will sit between the jaws equally then the drill is along its central axis.

looking for the center of my round barrel for the sight location and cant remember how I did that. I know its on the forums somewhere and I cant find that.... so could someone please show me that trick again.
oldness is not good.
thanks tom
Clamp it properly, run a small diameter drill bit or small, stiff wire in the drill press at medium speed. Bring it down on the barrel slowly and it will deflect in the direction you need to move until - it doesn’t. That is where you mark, punch, or center drill. The barrel has to be perfectly vertically oriented before you do this.

The simplest solutions are the best. Unfortunately, I usually have to go through all sorts of complicated iterations before I discover the simple!

You guys are going to laugh for days when I tell you how I did it. I went to the hardware store and bought a carpenter's chalk snap line. Hooked the loose end on the muzzle, stretched the string back to the breech, eyeballed center on the top flat, gave the line a snap, and I had my line.
Basically the same thing for me. Piece of string.

Back