• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to drill flash channel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mignot

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice on how best to drill a flash channel in my replica 1853 enfield musket from military heritage in Canada. It’s one of the Indian-made muskets that is imported without a flash channel due to customs regulations. I know, I know, Indian-made muskets are controversial. But I have several flintlocks that work just fine. The flash hole on the flintlock is fairly easy to drill, but I am confused on this percussion musket. Can it be drilled with a simple hand drill? is this a job for a professional?

Thanks for your advice!

The way I read and understand your post you do not have a drill press and only have a hand drill:dunno:. By hand drill do you mean a handheld electric drill or a hand cranked drill "eggbeater" style? The BEST method is to take it to a machine shop and let them do it:thumb:. Second best is to use that handheld electric drill:rolleyes:. Start by using small size drill bit then move up to the size hole required. Extreme care must be taken, or you can break off the bit in the barrel then you will be in a "fix" :eek: .

It's been years but, seems I remember reading in their ads to hold the drill on an angle in the nipple hole to drill the flash channel. Don't remember what size drill bit was recommended.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice on how best to drill a flash channel in my replica 1853 enfield musket from military heritage in Canada. It’s one of the Indian-made muskets that is imported without a flash channel due to customs regulations. I know, I know, Indian-made muskets are controversial. But I have several flintlocks that work just fine. The flash hole on the flintlock is fairly easy to drill, but I am confused on this percussion musket. Can it be drilled with a simple hand drill? is this a job for a professional?

Thanks for your advice!
Is the snail drilled and tapped for a nipple (percussion gun) or is it some form of flint ignition ?

Last edited:
Is the snail drilled and tapped for a nipple (percussion gun) or is it some form of flint ignition ?
Dear all,

thanks. Yes, it is percussion gun, nipple etc all there, just no hole from the bolster to the barrel.

as I suspected, this challenge is above my pay grade. It will stay a wall hanger. I have a euroarms p53 I will shoot instead.

thanks

Latest posts

Back