• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to determine length of trigger pull?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am saving up for a new flintlock. I am of course looking around on websites of different custom builders... There are builders that will adjust the stock of the gun 'to your length of trigger pull' .... What is the best way of finding out your own 'length of trigger pull'? :surrender: :confused: Is there a specific methode of determining that?
Thanks for any info on this!

Find a rifle or shotgun that shoulders well for you. Measure from the outer edge on the Middle of the front trigger, to the outer edge of the Middle of the buttplate. That is the LOP. :wink:

-----what if you have monkey arms like me--can't really find a factory gun that fits-----

rubincam said:
-----what if you have monkey arms like me--can't really find a factory gun that fits-----

Build up the comb and add to the butt with cardboard and electrical tape. Accuracy and comfort can really be improved with a good fit. Most cant fit themselves because they dont know how to correctly mount a gun.
I hunted most of my teens with factory guns that had the comb too low. When mounted, I had to raise my cheekbone off the comb to see the sights and kinda just press the side of my face to the stock.

I am mainly a shotgun stockmaker so I run into this question all the time. Your average modern rifle fits most people with a 13 1/2" LOP. The Average shotgun is about 14 1/8-14 1/4" LOP. Tall fellows might like 15". Now some trap shotgunners will prefer a 17" LOP. Along with your general body shape, it also depends upon your shooting style. One fellow went to a shooting school that taught a quick mount system and he brought his Purdeys and H&H's & Boss's to David Trevallion (American now, ex-Purdey) and wanted David to shorten the LOP to 13 1/2". Now this was heresy, but David was willing to do it if the fellow would sign a paper that David wrote discouraging the idea. Luckily the fellow changed his mind. Something else that can affect the LOP is a medical condition like arthritis. Your LOP can change during your adult life.

Some folks will gradually learn better shooting styles which might lead to a different dimension (at least HOPEFULLY better). Other dimensions on the stock can affect LOP like excessive drop.

An old rule of thumb for LOP is to measure the distance between the crotch of the elbow and the first finger joint. That will usually get you into the ball park. After that remember what was said in the first response and see what feels best to you. You might add some thicknesses of cardboard taped onto the butt of an existing gun until something feels just right for you. This is also true for drop and cast. I won't even mention other dimensions which would only confuse you like pitch. :wink:

rubincam said:

That's what they make duct tape for !! :grin:

Just remember that you can find a way to shoot a gun with too short a pull, but a gun with too long a pull or not enough drop is nearly impossible to shoot. And if you get it long enough for T-shirt shooting, when you get a big winter coat on, the heel may catch under the armpit of your coat when it's 20 below.

yeah, I know, a short gun will bust you in the nose with your thumb. After the ball hits the deer. I've shot a deer with my son's/wife's gun with an 11.5" pull.

Find your desired LOP before any other measurements are taken. All other more important measurements have to be built around the chosen LOP.

The crook of the arm fable gets in the ball park only in some cases but is not consistent enough to use any more than a dime in a 12 bore to determine what percentage pattern you will get at 40 yards.

rich pierce said:
Just remember that you can find a way to shoot a gun with too short a pull, but a gun with too long a pull or not enough drop is nearly impossible to shoot. And if you get it long enough for T-shirt shooting, when you get a big winter coat on, the heel may catch under the armpit of your coat when it's 20 below.

yeah, I know, a short gun will bust you in the nose with your thumb. After the ball hits the deer. I've shot a deer with my son's/wife's gun with an 11.5" pull.

True
But when starting with a fresh canvas what's the point in getting a gun that's too short anymore than one that's too long ? :rotf:
Clothing must be considered as well.

Cpt, after investing $400 in a bore/choke gauge, I've found that the old dime trick works VERY well, indeed. But more importantly, let us remember that to be period correct, it is disme, not dime. The crook of the arm trick is also more often right than wrong.

I dont know any gunfitter who uses the crook in the arm trick or any shooter who will trust a dime OR a bore gauge for a pattern. :rotf:

Joking aside, Sunkmanitu Tanka , have you got any access to some guns to try out over there?

PeterBH said:
Cpt, for someone with an obvious lack of experience, you get old in a hurry.

Mr. Hiatt, there is really no need for the silliness of personal insults. I am not contending your person. I am just contending the information on this thread and have been trying to do so in a lighthearted manner so as not to offend as well as trying to bring this thread back to the original poster.

I agreed with you in the fact that the crook arm method worked on SOME by chance but in reality what that method really does is tell how long it from your elbow to your trigger finger. An alternative way is to do as Birddog6 has suggested. Try different guns to find a comfortable LOP that is not so long that it can be easily mounted using the clothes you will use when shooting and not too short that your thumb is in your nose. That can be used for ANYONE reading this thread and would prevent them from using a procedure that could yield them a 15" LOP when they in fact need a 13 1/2". As an example, one of the most respected and talented gunmakers on this forum cannot use the crook in the arm trick for himself and ends up in the above dilemma if it's used for him.

While I don't really feel the insecure need to constantly boast on this forum of my credentials or experience (or lack therof as I have been accused), I do stand firm in my prior comments on this thread.

Cpt, if you take the time to properly read my posts, you will see that your past reading skills were limited.

Perhaps we could get down to specifics that might help a reader rather than alluding to our individual "lengths of pull". :rotf:

For example, how might desired length of pull differ between an offhand rifle, a bench rifle, a pass-shooting fowler, or a grouse gun?

I alluded to one person needing a range of LOPs during his lifetime due to shooting style or infirmity.

Some shotguns around the beginning of this century had extreme drop like 4 inches or more. This was due to an upright shooting style as in wearing a top hat during shooting. On the other hand, the troops were taught a stock climbing technique for rifles during WW1 which kept ones head lower giving less target for the enemy to target. If you go to trap shooting, guns are usually premounted and some shooters might choose a 17" LOP.

Shooting style is critically important and can change during one's lifetime. Unless one is unusually short or tall, the LOP (for most in the 5'8"-6'5" is usually between 13 1/2"-15". This could still differ due to shooting style, attire, height, or infirmity.

Sunkmanitu Tanka said:
Is there a specific methode of determining that?

Listen to Birddog6.

And LOP by itself is not the answer...'drop' figures into the overall fit formula...change one and you usually accommodate a change in the other, etc.

The crook of the arm to the first joint of the trigger finger is an old wives tale...in those cases where it might happen to work would be pure coincidence, not science. My measurement is 17", I like 15" in Remington 1100/1187 trap & skeet guns, and 14+1/4" to 14+1/2" in most rifles and muzzleloaders.

The above are simply opinions based upon this member's personal experiences, not ego...I have no interest in sniping back and forth, I said what I said, it is what it is, other's mileage may vary...

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference in the amount of drop is what I have been wondering about. My TC Hawken is 14". It is about 1" to long for me. I am thinking about buying a Picatonica Replacement stock with a 13-1/2" LOP just to be safe. Frad to go the full 1".

How much diffenece did It make for you when you got your Virginia Rifle? How much more drop does it have than the TC's you have been shooting for so many years.

Robert

Back