• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to carry a long rifle on a horse.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while, but as I recall, the poor country character in the movie had tied a lace up boot with the toe out to the cantle of the saddle, the gun (a side by side I think) was shoved into the boot. The locks held the gun from going further in the boot. The barrels pointed towards the ground.

I'm very familiar with the carbine ring, sling and boot for military carbines. For several years during the 80s we were hired to xport military families in our horse drawn wagon at Fort Sill's Western day, and at a large pasture the wagon train was always attacked by the "Natives" until the military families were saved by Ft Sill's Half Section and other reenactors.

Those were shining times for a young single man, rescuing the young ladies from harm, then inviting them to a dance later that evening.

Back to the movie, It was a western, maybe Larry McMurtry, idk. Anyway, i thought that'd be a cheap easy way to carry a long arm horseback.

Long rifles were never intended as horseback weapons. I'd recommend a shorter rifle for the purpose, and use a scabbard under your left leg, butt forward. The mountain jungles I've always hunted the past 40 years would break a long rifle in short order. Not to mention you damned well better have both hands available on horseback.

Long rifles were never intended as horseback weapons. I'd recommend a shorter rifle for the purpose, and use a scabbard under your left leg, butt forward. The mountain jungles I've always hunted the past 40 years would break a long rifle in short order. Not to mention you damned well better have both hands available on horseback.
Is that how they did it in 1780 to 1830?

"Long hunters"....for one, that term alone has been in debate. Then it would depend on how far (long) and what they was hunting.
Now the question would be more like how did Crockett, Carson, Bridgers, Colter, Beckwourth, Osborne Russell, Benjamin Bonneville, and the list goes on, commute from East to West and up over them hills?
They carried rifles and they carried supplies. I guess they was just much more better at it then green horns of today who dont go none too fer yet claim they go 'long'.

You basically described the boot AKA Carbine socket for our rifles in the civil war cavalry. I thought it was nutty when I first started. I've since found it to be very uselful and convenient.

I already posted photos of the harness with clip, and of saddle with the bot.. but it wasn't clear. Here is a better photo from the vendor I purchased mine from. It's just heavy leather sewn. Some have made a c shaped piece of metal covered in leather so that the carbine pops out if the horse falls on it or something happens. (safety)

Sling for cross shoulder and hold onto the carbine rifle:
View attachment 79986

Carbine Socket (boot)
View attachment 79987

Socket in place on saddle:
View attachment 79984

Jane with myself behind firing our revolvers at a reenactment.. yea we have great warhorses. We play with swords too.
View attachment 79985
j

Beautiful horse, and the setup looks practical.

I watched so many Western movies as a kid. Most of the time, rifle is in scabbard horizontally, muzzle forward. Most impractical method I saw. Weapon just waiting to get snagged and dragged out, without you noticing.

...... Not to mention you damned well better have both hands available on horseback.
Said by someone who obviously knows little about horses or training of either horse or rider.

All, at least we have documentation for many being a horseback

Amen.
Good 1st person documentations of them being On horseback as well as using pack horses

I watched so many Western movies as a kid. Most of the time, rifle is in scabbard horizontally, muzzle forward. Most impractical method I saw. Weapon just waiting to get snagged and dragged out, without you noticing.

Me too. watching several this afternoon. But when I did have a chance... Yea, it works quite well. I've had the opportunity to use two models. One had a flap and buckle over the stock and was carried the other way. (backwards) I don't know much about them. I carry mine across my lap or on it's sling. It's only with the civil war carbine I use the leather sling and socket. It shoots well though I prefer to use my12ga/62cal flintlock trade gun for everything.

"Long hunters"....for one, that term alone has been in debate. Then it would depend on how far (long) and what they was hunting.
Now the question would be more like how did Crockett, Carson, Bridgers, Colter, Beckwourth, Osborne Russell, Benjamin Bonneville, and the list goes on, commute from East to West and up over them hills?
They carried rifles and they carried supplies. I guess they was just much more better at it then green horns of today who dont go none too fer yet claim they go 'long'.
Have to agree with you there. Those you mentioned would be out for months at a time, maybe longer. Now, you go hunting for a week or so, you become a 'long hunter'!!

Said by someone who obviously knows little about horses or training of either horse or rider.

Amen.
Good 1st person documentations of them being On horseback as well as using pack horses
I've guided in the Bob Marshall, Scapegoat, Great Bear, and Mission Mountain wildernesses. You don't go there on foot. Travel through them sometime, and you will find you need both hands to push off of trees to shift the horses weight, to keep from getting raked off, or over a big drop. Most of the riding is bushwhacking, not on a nice trail through the park. I cowboyed on ranches many years, and was a farrier. I know a bit about horses.

Last edited:
Then I would guess that no "long hunters" ever traveled through Bob Marshall, Scapegoat, Great Bear, and Mission Mountain wildernesses?

Virgin wilderness, never touched by trappers, overflowing with beaver!

Then I would guess that no "long hunters" ever traveled through Bob Marshall, Scapegoat, Great Bear, and Mission Mountain wildernesses?

Virgin wilderness, never touched by trappers, overflowing with beaver!

I doubt many did. It's not beaver country for the most part. Not to mention the Blackfeet weren't and still aren't all that welcoming. Never was really worth a damn for hunting back in the day, that's why trappers and natives stuck to the high plains and prairie for the most part. You DO know longhunters were an eastern thing, don't you? Mark Baker got a bit of an education on the Rockies when he came to nationals on the north fork of the Flathead and damn near froze the middle of July.

That brings up the question, what experience do you have with horses?

Last edited:
Well, as I said earlier I have no experiance with horses.
Now, if many did not hunt those areas then there would be no need to discuss 'long gun carry on horseback' in those areas.
As for "longhunters" you will be hard pressed to find the term documented prior to 1835 and after that the 'shorter' guns began to come about. The OP did ask how long guns were carried horseback.
If a party ran into dense, impassable land then they would go around. If their game was just wounded and entered such then they would weigh the worth of calling it a loss or pursuit on foot.

Yes there were those who traveled and hunted on foot, some traveled long distance. But the question was not; 'How would they carry long rifle if they wanted to' nor was it 'why did all hunters not ride horseback', no I am pretty sure is was 'how did those that did carry do it.

You basically described the boot AKA Carbine socket for our rifles in the civil war cavalry.
Probably the most efficient way to carry a long arm on a horse barring the modern holster. Here is an older version in a drawing of a Dragoon of the 2nd Rgt US Dragoons by Randy Steffen from his volume I of The Horse Soldier 1779 - 1943
Dragoon webable.JPG

Note: the sling swivel is not attached to the long arm. The top two red arrows are the same leather strap and is buckled around the wrist area, the second red arrow marks a second strap attached to the rod the sling clips onto by a clip. There is a leather strap that can't be seen here that runs down to the muzzle cap indicated by the bottom two red arrows. This rig was supposed to keep the horse from being battered by the carbine excessively. Doesn't do much for the dragoon.

After you get your horse rig all set up, get the horse and all the horse goblins used to the sound of gunfire, the next fun thing is learning to get on and off the horse wearing a sword, and then not cutting the ears off!

I Apologize, I realize the Hall Carbine may not be kosher for this form but it's about the horse and the carry

.... I know a bit about horses....
Then your statement is rather inane to these ears.

...... drawing of a Dragoon of the 2nd Rgt US Dragoons by Randy Steffen from his volume I of The Horse Soldier 1779 - 1943...

I've got that book under my desk at home with other cav books..... wish I had it here. Thanks. There are several really quality drawings in that book.

Latest posts

Back