• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how to best slug a revolver barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For quite a while now I've been suspecting that the best cure for Pietta's 1858's isn't reaming the chambers but rather replacing the barrel with rifling of the right diameter, geometry and twist. For the price of a barrel blank made to order and a group buy on a smith reworking half a dozen revolvers...
Half a dozen pistoleros might get to have the revolvers of their dreams.
You lap a Pietta barrel correctly and fit the chamber mouths and forcing cone to the grooves and it will shoot with the best of custom barrels in my opinion. My worked over 58 will beat the snot out of my ROA which has had only a trigger job and no other alterations.
Most revolvers tend to be tight of bore where they thread through the frame and open up at the muzzle. When all constrictions are removed from the bore , chambers reamed to groovediameter, forcing cone evened and muzzle squared the guns will usually shoot to their best potential and that is almost always more accurate than it's owner is capable of holding for.

Last edited:
Back