• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to begin learning my Whitworth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone is doing well.
I expect to finally get to the range next week and begin learning how to tune in my Whitworth. I’ve been reading and making notes and I think I have an idea of how to start. Those with knowledge about the Whitworth/Volunteer/ Gibbs type rifles -please correct me if I’m wrong somewhere, but also understand that what gear I have is what I must use for the time being.
I was thinking 100 meters is a good distance to sight in with. Would someone recommend a closer distance? The rifle only has the ladder sight with a leaf blade notch that is rather small to peer through. One day I will buy a tang sight but for the moment I must use the ladder sight.

1. I have cast 60 hexagonal bullets and will sort them by weight, then paper patch them to .444-.445, which is a slightly tight slip-fit for the bore

2. I have measured by volume and then verified by weight 60gr of my powder, which is Wano (Schuetzen?) fffg. I have been reading that approximately 25% less fffg will get close to the velocity and breech pressure of ffg. (Swiss powder, or any other brand, is absolutely not available)

3. Related to the previous question, what powder charge would be generally recommended to start with? I thought 80g ffg?

4. I have a bunch of hexagonal cork-wads about 1/8” thick for under the bullets.

I’m already in the habit of wiping the bore better shots with my round ball muzzleloader.

Advice is appreciated. Thank you for your consideration

I can advise you NOT so start with 80gr of your chosen powder unless you also like getting your head stuck in elevator doors.

Maybe you are built like Paul Bunyan and are quite happy to get punished with recoil, or maybe one of these rare people who don't feel it.

Most of us starting out with a new and completely unknown rifle like start at 50m, using five shots each of 60, 65, 70,75 and then, if you really have to, 80gr. Remember that we shoot this rifle from PRONE, not from a bench, and with a sling, not a rest of any kind.

However, in order to sort out a load, feel free to shoot it however you like - I'm not looking. ;)

When loading, remember NOT to ram the bullet down. It should be pushed down onto the charge, and not have the ram-rod bounced up and own a few times to make sure it's there. I wipe the bore AFTER loading, too, to allow the bullet a clean bore up which to advance.

Others here will have more to say, but at the moment that's all I can think of.

I can advise you NOT so start with 80gr of your chosen powder unless you also like getting your head stuck in elevator doors.

Maybe you are built like Paul Bunyan and are quite happy to get punished with recoil, or maybe one of these rare people who don't feel it.

Most of us starting out with a new and completely unknown rifle like start at 50m, using five shots each of 60, 65, 70,75 and then, if you really have to, 80gr. Remember that we shoot this rifle from PRONE, not from a bench, and with a sling, not a rest of any kind.

However, in order to sort out a load, feel free to shoot it however you like - I'm not looking. ;)

When loading, remember NOT to ram the bullet down. It should be pushed down onto the charge, and not have the ram-rod bounced up and own a few times to make sure it's there. I wipe the bore AFTER loading, too, to allow the bullet a clean bore up which to advance.

Others here will have more to say, but at the moment that's all I can think of.
Thanks mate. I read what I wrote and it didn’t come out right. I meant to say that I think 60g of fffg would be close to 80g of ffg

But I take your point and perhaps Im not yet ready to go to the range yet after all. I have ordered a sling but it’s not arrived yet. And I thought I would bench rest to develop a load

You can bench rest it, provided you don't let any part of the gun (forearm/butt, etc) touch the bench or the rests.

Letting it touch will usually not result in the best accuracy, so place your non-trigger hand between the forearm and the front rest, grasping firmly & pulling the gun down/back at the time of firing.

Widows son,
Last week Ms. Whitworth suggested I return to testing loads and distance. I started with a new to me powder and charge with a new distance (165yds). First three rounds where at 25yds to verify point of impact. The next three rounds where at 100yds again to verify point of impact. The next set of rounds was at 165yds for grouping. It was a ten round group with seven hitting the plate with one hitting at 11 oclock 5ins off the plate, one at 6 oclock half in off the plate and the third is still orbiting the earth. This was all with a charge of 60grns of Swiss. I will continue at this distance until I'm satisfied with group. Each time I try a new combination of powder, bullet or wad I use this technique. Now that I can get a reasonable group with this powder and charge I'll make adjustment with the powder charge until satisfied then move out further and start all over again.
This was with bags at the forearm. My forearm hand is useless at this point so the forearm rested directly on the bag. Notice the barrel band has moved forward scraping the barrel and forearm wood. This could very well be the reason for the misses because of tension on the barrel changed.
Everybody has a method of testing this is mine. Hope this helps.
Kno-ie

Attachments

• 20210730_122109.jpg
    20210730_122109.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 39
Widows Son,
I forgot to note that I had tried Swiss 3f in the past. I have just recently switched to testing 2f. This was because of some comments made on this forum about pressures behind such a heavy projectile in the Whitworth rifle. As you, I'm still learning about this rifle.
Kno-ie

Back