How to attach cockade to hat?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Armando, Nov 2, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 2, 2019 #1

Armando

Armando

Armando

32 Cal.

I purchased one of these cockades to add to my small round crown hat (to pin up one side).
    [​IMG]

It comes with a ribbon but no other attachment points? How can I attach this to my hat? In a period correct way (more or less).

2. Nov 3, 2019 #2

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

So I know of two ways....,
    Method A is what I use on my rifleman's hat. My cockade (when I wear it) is yellow, and the button is painted black, so it looks like a "lazy Susan" flower, which is very common in Maryland, hence the color choices.

A) You cut a button hole in the side of the brim where it is to be cocked. Fold it up and mark on the crown where the button shank will be sewn to the actual hat. Note, the button shank will pass through the button hole in the brim at the top of the button hole slit, as the brim will want to fold back down. (Use as small a hole as possible...my "artwork" shows the hole for visual aid, not reality.) Then you sew the button onto the crown of the hat, stitching through a small square of leather on the inside when you sew to reinforce the sewing. Then you fasten up the brim by buttoning it up on the just installed button, followed by putting the cockade on over the button. This gives you a hat in very sunny weather or in rain that you can return the brim to it's useful position, but you must remember not to lose the cockade. (I don't use the tape)

B) You poke two holes through the crown of the hat. You put one end of the tape through each of the holes and tie a square knot on the inside of the hat. You judge where to position the button on the side of the brim, based on the diameter of the cockade. Sew the button onto the brim, place the cockade over the button, then fold up the side of the hat. THEN you put the loop you formed from the tape, over the edge of the brim, and over the cockade, but under the button. This then hold the hold thing up. You have to adjust and trim the tape to get it to hold the brim up close to the crown, and not have too much tape dangling down inside the hat (thus trim when done). Fancy, but the disadvantages are you end up with a loop hanging off your hat if you ever lower the brim for rain or sun protection.

RIFLEMAN's HAT COCKING.jpg

LD

3. Nov 3, 2019 #3

Armando

Armando

Armando

32 Cal.

Wow...great info! Thank you so much! Quick question: is there a preferred tradition for which side men pin up on their hats (left? Right?). I know I've also seen some who just pin up the back.

4. Nov 3, 2019 #4

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

Fifteen minute walk from Independence Hall.
    Left side. When weapons were carried at shoulder arms, they were placed on the left. Folding the brim up kept it from being hit by the weapon.

DaveC likes this.
  5. Nov 4, 2019 #5

DaveC

DaveC

DaveC

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'm not sure I follow the instructions on using the tape, but I thank you for the descriptions!
    Incidentally, spanish shank buttons were often secured on the other side by a metal wire bent into a circle, a bit like a typical modern-day key chain. So the wire would be threaded through the hole in the shank of the button after it protruded through. On coat or jacket buttons, these would then have had cloth tape threaded through the metal wire, and then sewn at the top and bottom.

I'm awaiting my red cockade for making a Spanish colonial-era hat down here in the former far frontier of New Spain... I'll study your instructions!

6. Nov 4, 2019 #6

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

Fifteen minute walk from Independence Hall.
    It looks to me like:

In the first one, the button is sewn to the crown without the cockade attached, and a button hole is made in the brim. The brim is folded up and buttoned in place, then the cockade is placed on the button.

In the second, the ribbon is run through the crown and a loop is created, and the button and cockade are sewn onto the bottom side of the brim. Then the brim is folded up, and the loop is pulled over the top edge and hooked under the button.

DaveC likes this.
  7. Nov 21, 2019 #7

Armando

Armando

Armando

32 Cal.

So what is all the tape hanging off the cockade when it arrives? Do I just cut this off and use for some other function like your suggestion in option B?

8. Nov 21, 2019 #8

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

I think they think you're going to do option B.

LD