• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to apply fake striping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my old Hege Uberti Hawken, wrapped with copper wire and go at it with a torch gently

Try on scrap first

Picture 014.jpg
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 015.jpg

I would definitely practice on something first, a good job looks great, a bad job is an abomination on a nice rifle.

I have seen some really bad striping jobs posted in the past, being a half fast artist years ago the bad striping jobs really jump out at me, most of the people who see the same chime in with "great job" looks perfect" and such but then again Bob Ross paintings probably look like masterpieces to them as well.

All of the pictures of faux striping posted in this thread so far look pretty dang good.

Guys.....I've looked at two old Lehigh guns and on one stock , the ink striping looked like it was applied with the edge of a feather for a paint brush. Each stripe was randomly different and between 1/8 inch to 1/4 " in width and done at a slant to the central axis of the butt stock. The stripes seemed to have been done one at a time.....................Thanks for the advise ,folks. Can't wait to try this............oldwood

Hi I am a Brit and rather partial to a nice bit of wood. This striping seems odd to me. Is it to copy wood that long ago was striped or just a decoration. I have never seen it on an old English gun.
Thanks

Hi I am a Brit and rather partial to a nice bit of wood. This striping seems odd to me. Is it to copy wood that long ago was striped or just a decoration. I have never seen it on an old English gun.
Thanks
It's a very regional thing. It wasn't done everywhere.

some old timers would soak a piece of rope in KEROSENE wrap it around the stock and set it alight. others would soak the rope in TOBACCO spit / juce, and wrap it. all methods are FAUX, but work and are very cheep.

The stripes you are seeing on many of the stocks here are natural to the maple used on many American guns. Generally the stripier the maple, the more attractive it is considered to be and the more desirable it is. Hence the faking of real, natural stripes on plain maple.
The reason you have never seen it on English guns is that they don’t have maple stocks. Most quality English guns use walnut.

I did a faux stripped a stock using copper wire. I wrapped stripped electrical wire tightly around the stock varying the spacing. I then took a plumbers torch and ran the flame all over. Scorched in some areas. Again vary the flame. Let cool. Pull the wire off stain and apply the finnish of choice. It looked pretty good. Better than painting the stripes.

Dunks..........I've been building m/l guns since 1970. By 1975, some very nicely figured maple began to show up at the new wood dealers just coming on line. I purchased some . I had some plain maple, medium grade maple , and top grade maple. A fellow wanting a rifle built , invariably would pick the best piece of wood I had , every time. Over a span of 50+ years of pretending to know how to copy old guns , there is quite a collection of stock wood around of the plain variety. I intend to learn artificial maple wood striping to use some of the wood I possess , wood that is judged by most folks to be undesirable. I come from very humble beginnings , and take the old axiom of , "Waste not , want not , " seriously. Also , many old original guns were just made of whatever wood the gunsmith could obtain. Utilitarian choice of wood was the order of the day. If the stock blank was dry , sturdy , and adequate for the purpose , it became a gun stock...........I,m in the weeds again..........oldwood

There exists a gun by John Bonewitz that has the remnants of apparently-original red grain paint on the stock. I don't mean painted curl, I mean the stock was grain-painted just like PA German furniture often was. It probably wasn't done a lot, but it was done. ;)

remember that FAUX will always be FAUX. and will rub off after a lot of handling.

I did a faux stripped a stock using copper wire. I wrapped stripped electrical wire tightly around the stock varying the spacing. I then took a plumbers torch and ran the flame all over. Scorched in some areas. Again vary the flame. Let cool. Pull the wire off stain and apply the finnish of choice. It looked pretty good. Better than painting the stripes.

I like this idea of copper wire and a torch . . . your Hawken looks great . . did you happen to take pics of the process that you could post of your doing the wire and a torch?

You are right Toot it will wear off. Unless it is a rack queen. Guns will get use marks from handling and shooting.

Back