• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to apply fake striping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some plain no-figure gunstocks usable for scratch builds. Would like to artificially stripe them prior to stain and finish,but don't know what paint to use for the stripes ??? I read an article some time ago and see they used a 1" wide paint brush with gaps cut in the bristles , but the kind of paint is the problem ?........oldwood

I don't think paint is a good idea. I have used spirit stains (alcohol based) or leather dyes to good effect. Ebony or dark brown give good contrast. It's more about the skill, which I lack, than anything else. Brushing it on to look like real wood figure is an art form. Another method I tried is wrapping the stock in rope & using a torch to darken the exposed wood between the rope.

I have some plain no-figure gunstocks usable for scratch builds. Would like to artificially stripe them prior to stain and finish,but don't know what paint to use for the stripes ??? I read an article some time ago and see they used a 1" wide paint brush with gaps cut in the bristles , but the kind of paint is the problem ?........oldwood
I am far from a pro at this, but, I have done a couple of reclamation CVAs in the past and the guys who bought them said they really liked the striping.
I used a modified brush as you note, with alcohol based dye/stain overtop of the base color stain (also alcohol based). In my case I used leather dye because I had it on hand. Base coat was a brown and the stripes where done with Cordovan. The stripes turned out pretty dark and when I do the next one I'm going to thin the dye some to see if I can mute the stripes a bit.
I was following the method used and describbed in a Muzzle Blast article about Mark Brooks recreating a Leman Chiefs' rifle.

To start w/ some experimenting on plain scrap white unfinished maple , I'll try alcohol base stains first , since I have it on hand. Will keep you posted on success and failures. And THANKS to everyone......oldwood

One guy really skilled in this, Mike Nesbitt, who writes and shows work in Muzzle Blasts magazine, uses Leather Dye! Brown, like from Tandy. He uses regular artist brush; the first stroke is heavier, then subsequent 3 or 4 strokes thinner, then reloads brush and continues. Gives realistic grain effect. See if you can find his articles in Muzzle Blasts back files on line. I've seen a guy use the gap-cut method, too. Good luck!

i use leather dye. fiebings leather dye alcohol base.
a base coat of diluted alcohol dye on the stock then paint on the stripes with full strength dye and a small paint brush. it took about 1 1/2hrs to paint on the stripes but there are better artists than i who could probably do better quicker . then apply your finish. i used trueoil.
here is one i did.
and there is a artical in muzzleblasts i think its called old tacky 2 that describes how he did his with dye, similar to the way i do it.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/gun-from-firewood.128032/
ou

I have used a propane torch with a fine tip flame. It really is easier than it sounds. Go slow and don't darken too much.. You can vary the width and darkness to get a realistic striping effect.

A friend of mine soaked cotton mason’s cord with stain and wound it around a pistol stock. Looked as good as any l’ve seen.

For the "paint" I'd suggest your favorite stock stain. Real stock stain, such as Laurel Mtn. From TOW or your favorite dealer. Not black ink, have a lot of Leman photos all are striped with some manner of wood stain.
I have used Fiebing's leather dye on a powder horn or so. Nice color but it fades in a year or so.
Live Auctioneers a.jpg

Attachments

• Live Auctioneers g.jpg
    Live Auctioneers g.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 88
Just something of note. Many old guns, especially Leman rifles I have seen, that were faux striped looked it. There seems to have been no attempt to make it look natural

Guns from the Lehigh/Berks/Bucks county region would have stripes painted on (one at a time by hand) with India ink, and a red varnish applied over all. The wood may or may not have been stained underneath. It was actually fairly commonly done there.

Back