• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How to Aim with Heavy Dragoon Flintlock Pistol?!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

German Jäger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I own a nice British Heavy Dragoon Flintlock Postol, its a Smoothbore in .62 Caliber!
Now my Question please tell how to Aim and how i can became Practice or training it?! It is an Indian Made but fully reworked Stock&Lock but i have no Practice without Sights!
Thank you

Hello Folks,
I own a nice British Heavy Dragoon Flintlock Postol, its a Smoothbore in .62 Caliber!
Now my Question please tell how to Aim and how i can became Practice or training it?! It is an Indian Made but fully reworked Stock&Lock but i have no Practice without Sights!
Thank you
You just aim down the barrel towards your target. It’s a short- range weapon made for close quarter fighting. You won’t be disappointed with the fun of shooting it. Also try shooting some bird shot out of it 😉

Load like a smooth bore long gun. Patched ball. Bare ball or buckshot. Look up smooth bore loads on the forum. Powder charges should hover around 25-40 grains of 2F or less 3F in a 62. Ten to fifteen paces max if you expect to hit much of anything target wise. That’s a military pistol made for battle scenarios. Without sights and a smoothbore don’t expect much for accuracy.

Ok i also have an 1733 French Pistol an use it at 25 Meter because they have a Frontsight😂😉‼️Now the Dragoon have nothing😩but is such beatyfull Pistol what Ballsizexare ok i have .600 & .585 from my Colonial Rifle

These things originated as a one trick knockout- punch at close range. Point in the center of the target and pull the trigger. Many didn't even have front sights but I sure prefer the front sight on mine haha.

Don’t try and hold it like a modren pistol, or even a fine dualing pistol or target pistol. Choke up on the wrist. It seems as awkward but you will find it very comfortable
In battle and officer would have one in his left hand, sword in right, Perry a blow and shove the gun in to opponents belly.
A cavalry man would have them on holsters on each side of the horse, and shot at enemy beside the horse

Ok, so i think it a close quarter pistol so i better use shot or buckshot roundball?! I want try it at 20Meters🤔🥶

Back