• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How thin can Intake a horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berdar

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I’m out in the reload shed today, working on my first scratch built powder horn.

This particular horn in a nice light color and will eventually get scrimshawed.

How thin can I safely scrape a horn before I have to worry about it being easily broken?

In my experience, it has been how far down can I go before I lose the nice white surface that I scrimshaw on. All horns are not the same. To me, the ones that have white all the way through I wouldn't take down to less than an 1/8" thickness. The caramel and the grayish ones, probably 3/32 or even less. Kind of have to have it in hand and get a feel for it as I work.
Good Luck!!!!!
Robby

Awesome! Thank you.

I have to finish fitting the plug and get it in place.

I’ll try to snag some pics tomorrow.

I have seen horns so thin you could check the powder level in them at a glance. Have no idea how durable they’d be.

I’m out in the reload shed today, working on my first scratch built powder horn.

This particular horn in a nice light color and will eventually get scrimshawed.

How thin can I safely scrape a horn before I have to worry about it being easily broken?
Imagine accidently "sitting" on it! Too thin may not be a plus!

I have some I’ve many years ago that are very very thin... I have no way to measure the thickness. I can check the level of powder by simply holding it up to a light. I have little fear of thier durability as I have sat on em and dropped them... although I obviously don’t try to destroy them. Yes they are probably more fragile than others. I didn’t set out to make them that thin, it simply happened through the process of shaping.

Back