How thin can Intake a horn?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

berdar

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I’m out in the reload shed today, working on my first scratch built powder horn.

This particular horn in a nice light color and will eventually get scrimshawed.

How thin can I safely scrape a horn before I have to worry about it being easily broken?

Robby

62 Cal.
Reaction score
In my experience, it has been how far down can I go before I lose the nice white surface that I scrimshaw on. All horns are not the same. To me, the ones that have white all the way through I wouldn't take down to less than an 1/8" thickness. The caramel and the grayish ones, probably 3/32 or even less. Kind of have to have it in hand and get a feel for it as I work.
Good Luck!!!!!
Robby

berdar

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you.

I have to finish fitting the plug and get it in place.

I’ll try to snag some pics tomorrow.

bubba.50

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen horns so thin you could check the powder level in them at a glance. Have no idea how durable they’d be.

Reaction score
I’m out in the reload shed today, working on my first scratch built powder horn.

This particular horn in a nice light color and will eventually get scrimshawed.

How thin can I safely scrape a horn before I have to worry about it being easily broken?
Imagine accidently "sitting" on it! Too thin may not be a plus!

S.Kenton

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some I’ve many years ago that are very very thin... I have no way to measure the thickness. I can check the level of powder by simply holding it up to a light. I have little fear of thier durability as I have sat on em and dropped them... although I obviously don’t try to destroy them. Yes they are probably more fragile than others. I didn’t set out to make them that thin, it simply happened through the process of shaping.