• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How soon is too soon to reaload your gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hat is off to the N-SSA and their standard for these speed shoots. Fast reloading can be done, and its nice to hear someone admit that cook-offs do occur. It can be done with the guns described, and with the bullets as described.

But, people then want to do the same thing with a different style MLer, with deeper grooves, and with the PRB, or leave the patch off, and try to seat the ball by thumping the buttstock on the ground, or on the saddle horn if horseback. The Ball may, or may not seat on the powder. My club experimented with this issue using a variety of modern replica guns, including T/C, CVA, Browning, and an assortment of " Kentucky" long rifles.

In the test, we dumped powder down as described above, and then pushed a bare lead ball down the barrel, thumping the stock a couple of times to seat the ball.

THEN< before we fired the load, for safety sake, we checked where the ball ended up with a ramrod carefully run down the barrel. With the first and second loading of a clean barrel, we had NO trouble with the balls going down and seating on the powder. We did carefully raise the muzzles up, and then only lower them down on the target to shoot, so that the balls did not roll forward.

On the third shots, about half the balls did not get all the way down on the powder, and had to be pushed down with the ramrod. On the fourth shot, we were down to only one or two guns that let the ball go all the way to the powder charge. By the fifth shot, even those remaining rifles required the balls to be pushed down on the powder. We stopped the " test " at that point.

In our minds, we had determined the difference between shooting lubed minie balls down a shallow rifled barrel, and shooting bare balls in rifles with deep rifling, with no grease to soften the fouling. Frankly, most of us were disappointed that we would not be able to fire our guns the same way we knew the N-SSA guys were shooting. .

We had one cook-off of powder when it was poured in the barrel, and everyone became a firm believer in loading their barrels from a separate powder measure, and not from the powder horn, or flask! :shocked2:

My attention was somewhere else, and I did not actually see the cook-off. The shooter was an experienced, long-time member of the club, who had never experienced a cook-off either, nor had he ever witnessed one. He was shaken by the incident, but not burned. He dropped out of the testing at that point, and no one blamed him.

This began as a rather make shift, informal test, just to see what our guns were capable of doing, using the same kind of loading procedure as shown, and described. We were preparing to put on a public shooting demonstration, and were trying to decide what kinds of shooting we could do, and what we did not want to do. That is the only reason for the test, and the reason why we were not prepared to be more " technical " in collecting data. As a group, we decided that if we could not demonstrate volley fire, we would demonstrate accurate shooting, and turned our efforts to creating " trick " shots that spectators could see easily.

Oh, we did mount a bunch of clay targets on a wood backstop, and fired a volley of shots at them with our members. Everyone except one shooter hit his aimed-for clay target, but the impact of so many hits broke all the rest of the clays, leaving nothing for us to shoot at without first closing the firing line and putting up new targets. We tried several different thicknesses of back boards, and never did find a way to keep the rest of the targets from breaking under a volley of shot. Instead, we had shooters fire at the clay targets one at a time, and that kept the additional breakage down to a manageable level.We had the guys try to shoot the center out of clay targets while leaving the outer rings intact. That gave us " souvenires " to give to spectators, who seemed to love those filthy things.

We did hang clays from rubberbands, and string with modern fishing line to an overhead string, with a couple of fishing lines holding the clays from behind so they did not turn in the wind. That worked, and we were delighted at how lucky we were that people rarely hit those cross strings.

When I first started shooting BP there weren't books on how to do it...just a little pampflet I got with the first barrel I bought. Then I got a couple of issues of that mag printed in Big Timber MT...the one that the editor got in trouble with for telling the truth about some makes of rifles..and it was pretty primitive. Some fellas were talking about screwups they'd seen and a blown up powder Flask with the measurer built in was one of them mistakes. It got my attention and I been blowing down the barrel ever since...always use a separate measure and I use pillow ticking I cut into two foot long strips. I start chewing on the end of a strip as I head for the line and powder...wet patch...ball..cut it off with an old straight razor..since I don't shave...and ram it home...frizzen up..powder up with 4f and frizzen down.. half cock... yell "FLINT"...and wait about 5 seconds and full cock..set trigger ...shoot. While I'm waiting I start chewing on the ticking strip. I figure 4 times of yelling "FLINT" is enough for the people on my right to get the idea.

Blow down the barrel til no more smoke ground the butt...powder up my measure...pour and patch ball..cut it off..ram it down... frizzen up and like before. I've never had a patch burning out in front of the line so they must be wet enough.

I shoot til I miss or win...targets are nearly always something the falls after a few seconds or breaks when you hit it or cuts in half...like a playing card on edge. Stuff you know right away you missed. I clean after the shooting's done.

Now for the bad...I was at the Buffalo wyoming centenial and marching in the parade and firing off blank loads when a bunch of "outlaws" came charging up the street on horses and just firing their revolvers all over the place. It musta reminded me of something 'cause I turned around and blew one of them boys right outta his saddle.

He said the rush of air from that 150 grains of 3f just picked him up and slapped him on the pavement. He was looking right at me when I fired and he said that .54 inch hole looked big enough to ride in with his hat on and the smoke ... whee!! The crowd thought it was all part of the game and cheered. I felt pretty bad about it...but you know...never point a gun at someone you don't intend to shoot...glad I didn't take any balls with me. We ended up drinking at the bar and swapping lies for hours.

I have seen guys who have had there rifled muskets cook off. I do civil war reenacting. So it is usually the blank cartridge we use thankfully. They end up having a pepper look in thier right hand from the powder. One reason I believe why this may happen is do to removal of the spent cap from the previous shot and leaving the hammer on 1/2 cock. thus introducing air to an ember.
Remember in a civ war battle when your asked to fire independently most guys fire as fast as they can. We do not tip our barrels down to let any unfired residue to fall out the tip, or clean with a jag (it's a reenactor no no to pull your ramrod) Thus the barrel gets heated up so bad you can't hardly hold it so now we introduce heat to the mixture.
This is my conclusion( take it for what it's worth). uncapped nipple(cone) allowing air, heat from the barrel, unfired ember in the breech, introductin of new powder. POW you have a cook off.
This is why we are to pour our powder dowen the barrel with 2 fingers and off to the side. I would rather have burnt forefinger and thumb rather than my whole hand.

IMO, the prime reason folks see muzzleloading guns light off the next load doesn't deal with a uncapped nipple while loading. It is because many reenacters, true to the Military they are recreating use paper cartridges.

When the black powder explodes it is consumed but the pieces of paper will become glowing embers.

This is also a problem with cannons which use cloth bags to hold their powder charge. The cloth leaves a lot of glowing embers in the bore which explains the need to throughly wipe the bores with dripping wet swabs before inserting the next powder bag.

Paper is very seldom stuffed down a barrel during a reenactment- Too Farby, looks like a ticker tape parade.

Zonie said:
IMO, the prime reason folks see muzzleloading guns light off the next load doesn't deal with a uncapped nipple while loading. It is because many reenacters, true to the Military they are recreating use paper cartridges.

When the black powder explodes it is consumed but the pieces of paper will become glowing embers.

This is also a problem with cannons which use cloth bags to hold their powder charge. The cloth leaves a lot of glowing embers in the bore which explains the need to throughly wipe the bores with dripping wet swabs before inserting the next powder bag.

When I re-enacted, we used to ram the paper down on the first round, especially if we were going to be marching for a while. After that, just powder. When firing Minie balls, the cartridge paper is not used, but discarded. Of course in a smoothbore, the paper is left wrapped around the ball or used as a wad over the ball. And Poor Private is right. It doesn't look too authentic when all that paper goes flying.

I have to modify my statement about cartridge papers left in a rifle-musket. The Pritchett ball uses part of the paper (lubed) as a patch.

The cook-off I witnessed was a reult of a combination of things; a very dry day, very rapid firing and a soldier who never cleaned his musket (this was back before inspections became strict). I'm surprised the gun went off to start with. Whether his hammer was down or not, I don't remember. We were trained to leave it down between shots long ago. When shooting at the range, I usually swab between shots so I cock it.

Artillery cartridge bags were made of flannel and definitely had to be both swabbed and wormed. Today, artillerists basically use aluminum foil as the cartridge, but still have to swab and worm. Cannon seem to cook off worse than muskets and with much more catastrophic results.

Along the lines of what Poor Private is saying I wonder if there could be a kind of bellows effect when ramming a patched ball home. It more or less seals the bore, as it does when firing. And there's that whole column of air that has to get pushed out the flash hole as you seat the bullet home. If there was an ember sitting down there wouldn't that tend to make it glow hotter? :hmm:

Ben

Back