• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

HOW RURAL IS RURAL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how does one describe it? my wife tells folks "you can't get there from here". close to the truth.
me? i just call it heaven. 30 miles to town.
Yep, got to go somewhere else first to get there. Northern Idaho has its special charm, but I like living in the banana belt down south, just too many damn people is the problem down here,

Semi-rural. A few neighbors within a few hundred yards, but can shoot in my yard. Some wildlife visits, deers, scads of bunnies, antelope in the yard, coyotes all around, black bear poop in the driveway once, neighbor had a wolf in his yard when he came in late, grizzlies come around rarely, but live 3 or so miles away commonly. Lots of elks wintering within 4 or so miles, lots of public land to shoot on 5 minutes away, I can only see the hits out to around 1200 yards though. Its about a 70 mile round trip to get groceries, mail, or anything else.

Cabin door home.jpg

Cabin 2.jpg

Semi-rural. A few neighbors within a few hundred yards, but can shoot in my yard. Some wildlife visits, deers, scads of bunnies, antelope in the yard, coyotes all around, black bear poop in the driveway once, neighbor had a wolf in his yard when he came in late, grizzlies come around rarely, but live 3 or so miles away commonly. Lots of elks wintering within 4 or so miles, lots of public land to shoot on 5 minutes away, I can only see the hits out to around 1200 yards though. Its about a 70 mile round trip to get groceries, mail, or anything else.

View attachment 168785

View attachment 168786
I see you too have the ever present robins.

We are fortunate enough to live on a dead end, dirt road. 33 miles to the grocery store and a gas station within 10. We have 45 acres of woods and meadows. Trout stream is 1/4 mile east and another 5 miles west. I can walk from one stream to the other without crossing any private land. Deer, bear, turkey rabbit, snowshoe hare, grouse and squirrel are all abundant. We even see elk occasionally. It's not perfect, but I am thankful to be where I am.

Last edited:
Couple of recent visitors in Butts Corner NY
Neighbor from the past and a local cannon shoot

Attachments

• 20220928_171130_resized.jpg
    20220928_171130_resized.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20220612-091050.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220612-091050.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 148738-09dc95d6f256cd94d4b1b3561a50b01c.jpg
    148738-09dc95d6f256cd94d4b1b3561a50b01c.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210926_115025.mp4
    42.9 MB
My place sits on a little less than an acre, has a 6' block wall around it mostly to keep the dogs in. It's two miles south of the Yuma city limits on a cul de sac street with about ten or fifteen miles of farm land all around. Neighbors are too close by but they mind their own business, as I do. Bought it when I had a wife but don't any longer and wish I had a more distant place from other people, Don't want to go through the hassel of selling and getting a different place. I can shoot doves a quarter of a mile away but have to travel 18-19 miles to hunt quail or rabbits and a lot farther to hunt larger animals. Fifteen miles to the closest decent fishing. I guess we all are where we end up in life.

We've lived in the same home in Louisiana for almost 40 years. 6 acres all surrounded by woods a mile and half from our very small town. It’s all pines for the most part, poor habitat. But my wife told me she saw a doe on our gravel road today coming home from church. Our land in Mississippi is 160 acres of mostly (90%) good hardwoods. Both my east and west boundaries are deep feeder creeks feeding into a live, fast flowing main creek which is my northern boundary. I have almost a 1/2 mile on the main creek. White sand bars and bream, bass, & catfish. There are a couple of families living within a mile or so to the east. But to the west, north, & south there’s nothing but woods and clear cuts for 6-7 miles, even then there may one house then more woods. This is where I’m happy and where I spend most of my time. Luckily my wife and family love it too. I’m very blessed to have but I worked hard many years to get it.
I have deer, turkey, bobcats, red fox, a few coyotes, and the occasional young Boar hog wandering through. And the usual raccoons, possums, armadillos, squirrels, but very few rabbits. Closest town is 14 miles away. The county is as large as any other average county in the US, but to total population is less than 12,000. So it’s pretty rural.

Last edited:
Niece ( lives near DC :eek:) had some friends over from Germany so she brought them out here to do some shooting with her Dad (my brother Steve) and me. When they left the rolling farming area and headed into our mountain valley one of the Germans asked if this was the "Outback" so I guess it was rural to them :thumb: I live off a one lane paved (I like cars and motorcycles too) mountain road 100 yards behind me leading to the main state highway 2 miles away. Purchased 41 years ago Mrs. Whitworth and I built our dream house on it 7 years later. It's less than 20 acres but surrounded by large mountain tracts and Government property. Bear, turkey and deer in the yard and squirrels galore plus 100 yard range cut thru the woods. Good retail and medical facilities 20 miles away.
1665962562309.png

The wife and I bought 65 acres that joined my fathers farm. We built smack dab in the middle and love all the wildlife passing through our yard. Now since covid a lot of city dwellers are buying anything they can get their hands on and my paradise is shrinking. Would gladly pick up and move but the wife ain't leaving her 12yr old granddaughter behind. Still can see the stars and milky way at night. When I walk out the backdoor the hunt begins.

Even though we all wish we lived in the "wilds" where game was plentiful, with lots of land, lots of freedom, beautiful views, pristine trout streams, and no-one to tell us what to do; unfortunately not all of us are that lucky. I see some on here have no trouble seeing deer, bears, elk, coyotes, mountain lions, upland game birds, mink and otter right out their window. Being I live on a1/4 acre lot in a New Jersey subdivision and have to drive to find a place to hunt, with little game and lots of No Hunting Signs, I was wondering how you would describe the area in which you fortunately or unfortunately live? Flashpoint!
I was at one time a N.J. resident, I did most of my hunting in Stokes State Forrest and it was a two hour drive from my home. It was a beautiful forrest at that time, the last time I saw it was 1987. Since then I have lived in the Mojave desert of Southern California. I can hunt cotton tale rabbits right in my yard, if I choose to hunt upland birds or even deer, it is a 20 minute drive. I can hunt all the Jack rabbits I want year round in a twenty minute walk. The polit bureroe of Sacramento is thinking of making wild hogs the same as Jack rabbits. If they do, I would have to drive about an hour to hunt them.

Never imagined I would have my own place with woods. Worked hard, raised 3 daughters after wife died of cancer and have a decent house in a subdivision in a very small town. Got remarried 12 years ago and she came with 25 acres about as isolated as you can get. Dirt road, neighbor 1/2 mile away, surrounded by state/farm land. Loads of deer, hunt 50 yards from the house. Very quiet.

We will move there next year permanently since we both are retired now.

Don

Even though we all wish we lived in the "wilds" where game was plentiful, with lots of land, lots of freedom, beautiful views, pristine trout streams, and no-one to tell us what to do; unfortunately not all of us are that lucky. I see some on here have no trouble seeing deer, bears, elk, coyotes, mountain lions, upland game birds, mink and otter right out their window. Being I live on a1/4 acre lot in a New Jersey subdivision and have to drive to find a place to hunt, with little game and lots of No Hunting Signs, I was wondering how you would describe the area in which you fortunately or unfortunately live? Flashpoint!
Until we moved into the metroplex (10,000 pop), we lived on 240 acres of woods. Every creature that lives at this latitude would show up in the ‘yard’ from time to time. Miss it, miss them, miss my old tractors, but time, she does march on. We are happy here. 10 min drive to hunt deer, birds.

Back