• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How reasonable are current Old Army prices?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as a general rule, today's prices on Ruger Old Army's is not reasonable at all. a better question might be "is this the new normal price for one?"

GoodCheer said:
Ruger should have made a fifty. At least a fifty.
I agree! That is why I had one of my ROA converted to a .50

Shortened it to 5.5 to boot!

Back to the op, well made, heavy gun that will last a lifetime.

At that price it is a steal! But I have one and am quite happy.

I've seen prices at auction asking for near $2000 and wouldn't sell mine if propositioned. But I don't believe it's worth that either. I'd say $5-600 was fair in very good condition.

What do you think Ruger would charge were they to make a new run? No less than that, and much more likely to ask a good bit more.

I've owned 5 Old Armies, now I only have one. When the prices started rising, and the chance came up to get one a reasonable price, I bought it. I usually traded them or sold them for little or no profit. They are made better than any repo, but do not give the same enjoyment of shooting, as shooting the traditional Colts. The repo's are everywhere, so the prices are competitive, the nice Rugers are not being made, and so if you want to play, you got to pay. If a new Blackhawk is worth $500. then so is an Old Army. If I didn't have one, and wanted one, I would not hesitate to pay $600. or more.

I saw a stainless ROA at a gunshow last weekend for $800. That included a conversion cylinder, which is somewhere around 3 clams, It also had some aftermarket laminated grips, likely another $45, and a replacement cylinder pin to use instead of the loading lever. So, it looks like somewhere around $500 is the new normal for a gun without mods or accessories.

I bought an unfired blue 7 1/2 barrel model, two days ago for $375. Part of an estate sale.

Most of the internal parts, are Blackhawk. The lever on the ramrod is probably the most likely to break (how do I know this). Lucky for me, I am a machinist. However, I was able to obtain a new one, at that time.

Ruger stopped manufacturing the Old Army back in 2008. New Blackhawks are listed at $829. I have 2 old armies, both stainless. Wouldn't think of selling either under $ 600.

blackpowder shooter said:
Ruger stopped manufacturing the Old Army back in 2008. New Blackhawks are listed at $829. I have 2 old armies, both stainless. Wouldn't think of selling either under $ 600.
I have two - one an older blue model that I shoot and a brand new-in-box never fired or rotated S.S model :blah: . I also would not sell it for less than $800 IF I were to sell. Those of us that have them - like them and would not sell them -- those of you who don't have one "poo-poo" them and deep down wish you could buy one :thumbsup: .

Two on sale in my local dealership - some years apart - yellow cardboard box and plastic box - but both are £650.00 each.

Guy [fellow member] walked over to me last guest day and offered me £500.00 cash right there, AND he had the necessary paperwork, too.

tac

I bought a 7 1/2" blued one in fair condition at a pawn shop this Spring. They wanted $375, I got it for $350 and am happy with it for a shooter. It's accurate but has worn bluing, minor exterior pitting, etc. It is my third. The other two are SS 7 1/2 versions, one with a conversion cylinder.

If I didn't have one, I'd look for one (shooter) for about $375-$400. Within 6 mos. I'd find one at that price.

Having a gun and not shooting it just makes no sense to me. :shake:

I have an old army with a 5 an 1/2 inch barrel in blued model. Had it since 2002 an it has had lots of rounds put thru it an lots of the bluing is worn an faded but it aint for sale even for alot more than I gave for it when new.

RedFeather,

if you're actually interested in getting an ROA (blued, 7.5" bbl), there are *two* available right here in the classified ads and both are going for $450.

they look great. one is offered by "steg49" and the other by "gman10" - tempting.

as to a $600 price tag, no way... my version of the blue book shows the msrp of $595 back in 2007... they seem to be dropping in price.

~dbg~

there's one on Gunbroker right now that needs a little TLC...$180 is the current bid Item # 573397336

I lil TLC can be a bad mojo deal these days since NO PARTS are available from manufacturer (purchaser). Get a GOOD one and use a loading stand and take care of it. Stuff happens but if yer of average luck you'll be giving it to yer favorite grandson in the same operable condition it is when you got it. TLC "usually" means neglect :shake:

Back