• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How reasonable are current Old Army prices?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ought to look into original paper cartridges from the Civil War and cased loads soon after. Many used 4F powder.

I'm certainly not going to tell you that it's good and dandy to do so yourself, but historically it was done quite often. And that will blow a few gaskets around here.

Quite frankly the energetic 3F powders supply plenty and some have claimed 4F hurt their group sizes. It may be historical but isn't enough for me to care about as I'm happy with what I see.

I'm not looking to load armor piercing rounds in my BP guns...I have other things for that..right now I'm thinking about trying triple 7. I'm really happy with the Pyrodex, but experimentation is what I'm all about. When I find something that works, I tend to try to see if I can improve on it. My 1860 Armys both "worked" but now they are smooth and work even better. By this time tomorrow, I might own a .36 too!

No question ROAs are way overpriced. They are the strongest CB ever made but not the best. That would be the 1858 New Army because of the wonderful cylinder swap feature. I think ruger really blundered when he didn't copy that feature.

Just checked UPS tracking & my (on sale) 1851 Navy from Cabelas arrived in town this evening and will be on hold at the local station for me to pick up after work tomorrow.

ROA's are nice, if you gotta have a well made gun that has no spare parts available (except nipples). I got a 37 year old one in stainless a couple of years ago that looked to be unfired, but had a few freckles of powder residue under the grips. Wouldn't buy one today for $5-6 hundred they're asking, but wouldn't sell mine for any less than that.

IMO, for less money, you can get one of the Colt Dragoons that performs same as the ROA.

"No more than 350-450 would be my limit. The gun is an orphan, no parts available. It is a nice pistol, but it isn't $600 nice even if it was unfired."

I just came home from the Texas ML state shoot. Some moron was beating on part of a pistol while I was shooting a pistol match. I walked over and told to stop. He did quit.

After the match, I checked on what he was doing, he was beating on a part of a Ruger ROA with a large hammer.

I took him down the line after the day was over and a fellow repaired his pistol. It works fine now, I told him to get a loading stand of proper design.

Depends on what you wish to do with a pistol, ROA is the dominant pistol for line matches, Colt is not.

Didn't see that one Richard but then I was further west.

Just a guess tho. He was a flint shooter. Standard procedure to what a flint gun w a hammer! :thumbsup:
TC

well I have dealt with orphan guns in the past and fixes are a pita

Of course you found someone at the Texas ML state shoot to fix the thing. All the right circumstances were in play.

I just feel that as it is an orphan gun, they are not worth what some are paying for them.

I just feel that as it is an orphan gun, they are not worth what some are paying for them.

I must agree.

Was in the LGS to pick up "something else" and the Ruger is still there. Figure it will be for quite a while. Only a few places to shoot BP here to begin with.

At the last gunshow I was at there were two NIB ROAs with boxes and paper, both stainless, with asking price of $900 each. I doubt they sold.

I know a knowledgeable person who bought a NIB ROA, when he took it apart at home he found it had been shot, took him some time to find the powder residue.

Only reason to pay $900 for a ROA is to find someone who wants to pay more than you did.

Richard Eames said:

I must agree.

orphan or not, if it's in good condition when you get it & you take reasonable care of it your great-great grandchildren will be shootin' it with never a replacement part needed.

Indeed. These are of much higher quality than a typical reproduction and don't need any work right out of the box. These are certainly worth more than a $350 repro and I'd expect to pay more. However I'd not spend over $600 ever.

rodwha said:
Indeed. These are of much higher quality than a typical reproduction and don't need any work right out of the box. These are certainly worth more than a $350 repro and I'd expect to pay more. However I'd not spend over $600 ever.

They do need work. If your goal is to go bang, they will do that, if you want a fine line pistol they need to be tuned.

You have never handled a properly tuned ROA much less than a Hagerman.

I have not handled any type of gun tuned for competition. But then I'd venture to guess most of that use BP arms don't either. Outside of friendly competition as a rondy or some such most of use don't compete on a professional level.

We want reliability and accuracy, and a ROA right out of the box is a much better gun that the average repro that has a price tag under $500. If nothing else the materials used are of a much higher quality, as are the modern springs. Not really a traditional gun, but still of a much higher quality that doesn't need an arbor fixed, hammer shimmed, or filing needed to work well.

bubba.50 said:
Richard Eames said:

I must agree.

orphan or not, if it's in good condition when you get it & you take reasonable care of it your great-great grandchildren will be shootin' it with never a replacement part needed.

They do fail. I had mine fail on a pig hunt. Seems the frame itself broke in front of trigger guard AND NO ABUSE WHATSOEVER (never even dropped it). That was when they did warranty work, 10 days after mailing off rec'd back in perfect shape with a new cylinder (spare) at no charge. RARE but never say never.

Back