• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How old are ya?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im always curious about the average age here.

• 0 to 30

Votes: 19 3.8%
  • 30 to 50

Votes: 73 14.5%
  • 50 to 60

Votes: 86 17.1%
  • 60 to 70

Votes: 161 31.9%
  • 70+

Votes: 165 32.7%

• Total voters
The way the poll is split you can't determine, but knowing how many under 40 is probably a good indicator to the future of muzzleloading.

I have been shooting BP off and on since 1971. Built my first BP pistol in 1972 from scratch from parts my Dad had left over from a Dixie Gun Works Kentucky build (I have that rifle now) and a square block of black walnut. Built it at school in metal shop and wood shop. Killed my first BP buck in 1982 with a T/C Hawken kit build that I built in 1979.

I forgot to add: I am at that sweet spot...old enough to know better and old enough to NOT care.

Last edited:
Sounds like we are a dieing breed. Not good I’m just really getting into flintlocks and would like to get out and shoot with other people. Like the folk firearms collective I’ve seen on YouTube. That looks fun and now that I have more time on my hands to travel.

69 been working on guns for about 56 years. Been into black powder for about 10 years. I’d heard about them but never actually seen one in real life. Put together two kits, a CVA Kentucky rifle and a CVA Kentucky pistol. Hung em on a wall. About a year later ordered caps and powder and finally shot them. 🪝 like a 🎣 I’ve probably had over 150 muzzleloaders in my hands. They come and go. My love is working on them. Keeps me busy and out of trouble. And no I’m not a felon. For some reason some people think only felons own black powder guns. I was asked once “tell me your not a felon without telling me your not a felon” I replied “I have an LTC” didn’t get a response 😝

I've met one blackpowder shooter once for a chat for about an hour. Other than that everything I've learnt about traditional muzzleloading has been from this forum or the sister forum and trial and error. It's a great resource. I do wish I had someone to share my passion with in person but you fine gentleman make a good alternative.

I've met one blackpowder shooter once for a chat for about an hour. Other than that everything I've learnt about traditional muzzleloading has been from this forum or the sister forum and trial and error. It's a great resource. I do wish I had someone to share my passion with in person but you fine gentleman make a good alternative.
Even in the States it sometimes hard to find someone to chat about sidelocks with. Dying breed, I guess.

I turn 75 this summer. Got my first gun, a shotgun, in 1958 when I was 10. Started hunting that year. Only missed one hunting season since then, and that was because I was in Vietnam for the 1967/68 season. Later, I was a police pistol and shotgun instructor for about 10 or 12 years. Got into muzzleloading in 1987 when I borrowed an 1861 Springfield rifled musket to go deer hunting that year. Gradually put away my modern guns and went strictly traditional muzzleloaders, except for CCW. Have used nothing but traditional muzzleloaders for big game for about 30 years now.

Gall darn whipper snapper! Thanks for joining us! I was out at my private member shooting range with my flintlock. A guy, and his kids drove up. They were on the next divide. The guy came up and remarked on hoe nicce my muzzleloader looked. He asked several questions. I offered him to shoot it, and he was very impressed. To end the story, I let his kids shoot it, and you could tell just by the expression on their faces, they really enjoyed it!

Back