• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How often do you shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably average about 1/month, unfortunately. It's a drive to the nearest place to shoot. So it tends to be a full-day affair by the time I factor in the drive & cleaning time. I probably do the least amount of shooting during the hunting season since... well... I'm out hunting.

I'm probably a 30 second drive from my small gun club. But small it is.....if someone is using the rifle range you either wait or leave . Or bring a handgun and go shoot in the less used handgun range.

Ammo prices have kept the TactiFools and Fudds away a little bit. I wonder what nickname those people have for me .

My bigger club is only 20 minutes away and has private "pits" where you can shoot handguns. They started giving me heat about shooting muzzleloaders in there though. They don't want to hear that a .58 Minie has less muzzle energy then a .44 Magnum revolver which you can blast away all day with in there.

The rifle range is very nice but people tend to camp out at the firing line , the dudes that wanna pop off 5 rounds then drive to the 300 every 10 minutes. Still, it's close and I usually bring guns that are "allowed " in each area in case the rifle range has 20 Kyle's on it , and I can go pop off some rounds through a handgun in the pits and hope the brass rats don't get chatty. I did put a .44 Uberti 1858 "carbine" on layaway so I can shoot a "rifle " in the 75 yard pistol pits without hearing any manure. I will adapt to any rule. I already have a stocked 1851 Navy and a 12" .44 brasser. A Zoli 1855 Dragoon Pistol is on my list too......tell me I can't shoot a muzzleloading "rifle " , I will adapt and come back with a stocked pistol and revolver......

I usually shoot once per week.

I wish I could shoot right out my door. I used to be able to, but the land is built up now I only have a short 15 min drive though.

i shoot something every day. even when it is single digit temps.
i load just inside the door where it is warm, scoot out to the bench on the front porch and let fly.
last couple days its been in the high 20's or low 30's. i just sit out at the bench and shoot.
have come to the conclusion that i have too many guns. need to concentrate getting just a couple tuned.

I want to shoot at least twice a week, mostly c and b revolvers or sidelock pistols. I really enjoy shooting alone bit it would be nice to have a friend with similar interests. Not one of my hunting buddies has any interest in muzzleloaders. Except in-line plastic ones once a year. Actually most of my friends don't even care for their smokeless rifles properly after the season. I get hired to clean the in-lines by my friends who claim I am always cleaning my own so why not there's. I have an itch to shoot and for me it's traditional muzzleloaders that brings me satisfaction, shooting, cleaning and keeping up with the muzzleloading fourm all great.

If I'm working on a load or changing something with it, or fiddling with sights I'll shoot everyday, all day untill I have what I'm looking for. To just go out and shoot? About three or four times a month with a couple guns for at least 25 to 50 shots each. Not having a rear sight on my fusil de chasse, I make sure i shoot it verytime that I go out.

I'm blessed to be able to walk out my door and shoot, I have 100 yard range in my back yard with bullet traps (for rimfire) at 50 yards. Behind my shop I can shoot out to 500 yards, depending on the time of year and what is planted in the bottoms.

How often I shoot muzzleloaders depends a lot on the weather this time of the year. If it's decent I may shoot four or five times a week, if it's nasty I may not shoot it for two weeks. However, in the winter I shoot airguns just about every day in my shop. In the summer I shoot rimfire probably three or four times a week, the muzzleloader probably once a week.

I used to shoot a lot back on the IL farm/ranch but not so much anymore. Then I carried a rifle or shotgun everywhere I went. Bout close to 33 years back I moved out of IL for middle TN. I worked for American Eagle Airlines back then, living in TN I loved it, and when American pulled out, I stayed. It's more crowded here than it was in southern IL and there's about a decade long wait to get into some shooting ranges. The more easier access ranges have TWRA crawling all over them and it's so regimental that it reminds me of NAZI Germany, so I don't go.

I have to tell this story, because the beginning of this thread "How often do you shoot" is a remembrance of a hilarious but true story. My friend, who is past now, went to the doctor one day to have his hearing checked. Now my friend was a little on the cantankerous side at times but generally a good person. The doctor asked him, "Do you shoot a gun?" Johnny heard him and thought he said, "Do you chew gum?" Johnny replied, "Yes". The doctor then asked him, "How often do you shoot?" Johnny replied, "Everyday." The doctor then asked him, "What kind of gun do you shoot?" Johnny annoyingly spat out, "Wrigley Spearmint, but what the hell has that got to do with my hearing?" :)

South Carolina provides us 12, open five days a week, ranges throughout
the state. The nearest to me is Palachucola State park, with pistol and rifle ranges. I Shoot weekly and am always the only BP shooter, pistol 25 yrds, rifle 50 & 100 yrds. What a blessing!

At least twice a week. Current range where I can shoot anytime is about a 50 minute drive. But I'm a provisional member of a club/range 10 minutes from my house. That limits my shooting there to when a full member is present (which is really limited on weekdays). But in a few months I'll be a full member and can shoot locally every day.

Latest posts

Back