• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How often do you shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hat is truly off to you, really. You’re doing what I should be doing. I have no excuses not to shoot that much since all I have to do is walk outside, load, and shoot. But twice a month, sometimes 3, is all I manage.

This is my time of year to shoot. Rain and weather in the 40's or 50's is great. It keeps a lot of folks from coming to the range. Weekends, fall and summer it's black rifles at 90% of the tables. I'm fishing then. When the weather's to my liking I try to get out once or twice a week.

Two or three times a week - my club has just one day that is BP only, but in fact that's only to give BP shooters full use of ALL the range facilities, whereas on an ordinary shooting day we fit in with everybody else - no real hassle thought, we have three ranges and all are cleared up to .75cal.

Our indoor ranges - 2 x 25m with four positions each, are not suitable for BP shooting.

Last edited:
Over the summer and fall, once a week on average. Now with all the snow, every place I shoot is inaccessible. I'll probably still manage to get out a time or two before spring.

Prior to a significant trip, I’ll shoot a couple times a week in preparation. Usually 6-8 weeks prior. During “the season” I shoot shotguns several times a week as I am in the field that often. Handguns get fired 3x per year on a scheduled basis, but sometimes more for fun or with company. Summer is just too busy and hot. Usually April-Aug few shots are fired

I belong to both an indoor range and a club with multiple outdoor ranges so I have plenty of opportunity.

Shooting in general I usually make it to the indoor range to shoot my modern pistols once a week pretty much year round. I'm no fan of winter so during that time of year I don't get to the club outdoor ranges more than once or twice a month. But in the other seasons I like to go to the club a couple times a week, and on most of those visits I'll be shooting my flintlocks. Even when I take my modern rifles I usually end up doing at least some BP shooting as well.

Since I will assume this thread is directed at how often we shoot our black powder guns my answer would be 2-3 times a week when we have decent weather.

Depends on weather and time of year. Over Christmas/New Years, very little. March-November, at least once a week, many times more.

My shooting day is Monday, most of the time anyways. Sometimes life gets in the way of range time. 5-6 hours shooting at a time. I can go months shooting and be the only smoke pole at the range. Very few muzzleloaders out here it seems.

As much as possible. But I'm beginning to dislike the 50 minute drive. Cuzz constant road work.

Went to the range yesterday. 45 degree with on/off drizzle. Had fun zeroing in the rebuilt Traditions Kentuckyish.

Only one other person there.

A good day.

With my muzzleloaders? Not often enough. Really these past two years, not often at all. Range time in the months of nicer weather has to be dedicated to unmentionable pistols, the rifle range at the closer of my two clubs then closes except Sundays once our pheasant season starts on Oct. and once that happens things get crowded there quick.
I really don't enjoy my time shooting if I have a bunch of people I don't know messing around with semi-autos and mega-blasters. Can't concentrate either.
I shot yesterday at a friend's property, something we don't do a lot for a few reasons,,, only shot a few shots but it felt good.
I wish we had a muzzleloader only range nearby, or better, if I had access to property where I could shoot alone 😔

Back