• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How often do you run into other muzzle loader hunters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I'm at in Idaho the only muzzleloader only season is in December, a late elk hunt and whitetail does can be taken too. I see other folks packing muzzleloaders, but usually of the unmentionable variety. The guy that took me shooting muzzleloaders for my first time (sidelocks) hunts elk during that late season, he is the only other one I recall seeing packing a "traditional" style. I only do this hunt if I was unsuccessful during early archery elk season (quite often!).
I do most of my muzzleloader whitetail hunting during the "any weapons" season, it runs through the rut and is a great time to just sit still and wait for a nice buck to wander by in range. I NEVER see anyone else that chooses to use any kind of muzzleloader during that season.

Most hunting is on private property here down under, so I have never run into another hunter using a muzzle loader. In fact In 40 years of working, I have only ever run into two other workmates who shot with black powder.

Traditional hunters never. Unmentionable ml every year. They hunt with them as a chance to get "their deer" gives them another 11 days of season..

At this point in NH I would like the ML to just stop. The archery guys get 3 months extra tags and wound and lose more deer but they have a good lobby.

IMHO Archery and traditional [tradition side lock iron sights only] should have one season together 2-3 weeks tops. No extra tags.

Traditional hunters never. Unmentionable ml every year. They hunt with them as a chance to get "their deer" gives them another 11 days of season..

At this point in NH I would like the ML to just stop. The archery guys get 3 months extra tags and wound and lose more deer but they have a good lobby.

IMHO Archery and traditional [tradition side lock iron sights only] should have one season together 2-3 weeks tops. No extra tags.
I whole heartily agree, except I would add that the traditional muzzle loader must shoot patched round balls, .45 caliber or larger.

One time, late November, 1990. I was hunting in my families ‘hunting grounds’ where I started hunting years before. My dad had died three mo earlier and I was the last one left. Hit a large, fresh track, single deer, followed it around the end of a small lake, dead calm, 16 degrees below zero. Heard a shot about 100 - 150 yds ahead. Came out to a logging road and there were a dad and two sons standing over a big doe. The kid had a very nice 40 cal percussion rifle, dad had a half stock, little guy carried a rope. The deer was shot thru both lungs, went about 80 yds after the shot. They asked if I was tracking it, said I was, told them I would probably never got a look at it. Kid’s first deer. It made my whole season, set my loss of my hunting partner in prospective, someone else was taking over and it was OK.

One time, late November, 1990. I was hunting in my families ‘hunting grounds’ where I started hunting years before. My dad had died three mo earlier and I was the last one left. Hit a large, fresh track, single deer, followed it around the end of a small lake, dead calm, 16 degrees below zero. Heard a shot about 100 - 150 yds ahead. Came out to a logging road and there were a dad and two sons standing over a big doe. The kid had a very nice 40 cal percussion rifle, dad had a half stock, little guy carried a rope. The deer was shot thru both lungs, went about 80 yds after the shot. They asked if I was tracking it, said I was, told them I would probably never got a look at it. Kid’s first deer. It made my whole season, set my loss of my hunting partner in prospective, someone else was taking over and it was OK.
When you give up a shot and give it to a young kid it makes the whole season

Ya you got me. I been a ham since 96
I know a ham call sign when I see it. :) Nice to meet you George. I'm Steve, KM4JZJ and my QTH is western Kentucky. QSL? I've been a ham since 2015. I'm an extra class, VE, and the president of the Marshall County Amateur Radio Association. :D I also like muzzleloaders. :ghostly:

I know a ham call sign when I see it. :) Nice to meet you George. I'm Steve, KM4JZJ and my QTH is western Kentucky. QSL? I've been a ham since 2015. I'm an extra class, VE, and the president of the Marshall County Amateur Radio Association. :D I also like muzzleloaders. :ghostly:
I'm the same. When I was working in the mill I made a 1/4 wave ant put it on top of a dust collector and would call my wife at brake time. I also like muzzle loaders. Have a couple I've never fired. Seems like I always go to my hawkens 50. N3wyu "73"

I'm the same. When I was working in the mill I made a 1/4 wave ant put it on top of a dust collector and would call my wife at brake time. I also like muzzle loaders. Have a couple I've never fired. Seems like I always go to my hawkens 50. N3wyu "73"
I also have a few flintlocks I haven't shot, hopefully one day I will. I have a couple of .50 cal. Hawken's. They're both T/C and one is flint and the other is percussion.
73 de KM4JZJ

My father is not a hunter. I've only hunted with friends but hope to soon hunt with my GF.
If your GF works out to be a hunter, GRAB HER for a bride! My blacksmithing mentor back in the dream time had an Alabama-Coushatta wife who hunted alone and often brought back deer like a conveyer belt. Good thing too, they had five girls to feed.

If your GF works out to be a hunter, GRAB HER for a bride! My blacksmithing mentor back in the dream time had an Alabama-Coushatta wife who hunted alone and often brought back deer like a conveyer belt. Good thing too, they had five girls to feed.

Thank you. Chatting on Skype with her right now actually.

Bit harder to really test out my GF as she is a foreign national living 10,500 miles away. She is a great airgun shot (about all she can do in her country without spreading thousands of dollars to rent a real firearm) and has consistently supported my talking about hunting, shooting, carry, self defense, etc. She has many times voiced an interest in shooting, carry, and hunting.

Back